nineteen.

My soul is gone, all that's left is a ghost I don't recognize

Replaced by the devil himself

He took my heart in his hand and squeezed

My body became his weapon

My mind his prisoner

Now all I know is the sound of innocent screams

And I can't tell the difference between mine or theirs anymore

"It was him," Steve stares down at his thick metal handcuffs, speaking brokenly, "He looked at me like he didn't even know me."

Natasha blankly stares off into space, knowing the feeling well

"How is that even possible?" Sam speaks up from beside the woman, "It was, like, seventy years ago."

Natasha's eyes shift up to look at the blonde man as the car rattles and sways. She already knows the answer. Even back in the Red Room, she knew how they contained the Winter Soldier; it only made sense if they put him into cryofreeze. It is how he looks relatively the same as he did before Svetlana was born when Natasha still knew him. It is how he has been able to reign through the past five decades, murdering and slaughtering whoever his superiors bid him. No, no, he's been around longer than five; he's been around for nearly seven. A strange satisfaction settles in her chest, even amidst the pain within her shoulder. She knows his name. She finally, finally knows her soldier's full name beyond just 'James' or 'Asset'.

James Buchanan Barnes.

Bucky.

And he knew Steve. She's naturally done enough research to know all about Steve's childhood friend. Oh, to have been through what James has been through. He was human once. A soldier, the good kind of soldier. He was devoted. Loyal. Patriotic. Headstrong. That part makes her smirk a little. Trust him to be headstrong, apparently some things carried through into his Winter Soldier days. God, it makes her so angry! They took his goodness away. She could see it sometimes, when they were still surrounded by the nightmares of the Red Room. He protected her when she needed it and she did the same. But he still killed, broke necks, and twisted bones within their homes of skin and muscle; he still was a murderer. So was she.