xvii

truth be told, a part of me does ache at the thought of hurting grayson. he had to understand that i loved ethan, and had for a long time now. nothing could change that, especially now.

it was a long drive, but it was well worth it. i slowly pulled into the driveway to see ethan waiting on the porch. both girls jumped out as soon as i turned off the engine, running towards ethan squealing with delight. he knelt down with outstretched arms, his smile reaching from ear to ear. both girls slammed into him, knocking him down. they talked a mile a minute as they covered his face with kisses. i stood at the end of the walkway watching, my heart swelling with happiness. when the girls finally let him breathe he turned his head to look at me. we locked eyes and it took all my might to stay where i was.

"girls, i think there might be something hidden in the playroom for you." he told them with a smile that i hoped to see a lot more of. they took off once more, squealing with flailing arms.

ethan stood up, facing me once more. he came down the porch steps as i slowly made my way towards him. as soon as he touched the walkway i started running towards him myself. i jumped into his arms smashing my lips against his as he spun me around holding me tighter than he ever had.

"ethan i'm so sorry, god, i missed you so much baby." i held him close, breathing in his scent, the familiar burn of tears in my eyes.

"i'm sorry baby i should have talked things over with you. i really lost it and i'm so sorry. after everything that happened between the three of us, after all that time trying to win you over. i couldn't afford to lose you. i've invested so much into you and so much into this family. i truly feel like i belong with you, without you i wouldn't have anywhere to go."

"ethan i love you so much. you're never going to lose me i'm yours always." he sets me down, holding my face in his hands. i could see now he too was crying, and i gently wiped his face.

"kena...kena are you really pregnant?" he asked, his voice desperate.

i pulled a white stick out of my back pocket.

"i started getting sick about halfway through my stay so i thought i'd just double check." i smiled up at him as he cautiously took the pregnancy test in his fingers. his eyes widened as realization as he turned to me for approval. i nodded furiously as he scooped me up once more in his arms.

"i love you, so fucking much." he kissed my forehead, and we headed into the house, hand in hand.

through the evening, he could not keep his hands off of me. we watched a movie with the girls, of their choice of course, and through the entire thing ethan would either kiss me, hold me, or try and sneak his fingers up my shirt, nearly unhooking my bra once.

the twins were cuddling their giant teddy bears, the surprise ethan left for them, on the floor, intently watching the movie and not paying attention to either of us.

"you need to knock it off, mister." i finally whisper to him after having to push his hand away for the millionth time.

"and if i don't?" he challenges, raising an eyebrow at me. i bite my bottom lip.

"someone may have to be punished."

"yes please." he breathes.

"maybe," i say, getting up and running my fingers along the couch while i walk toward the kitchen for a glass of wine. i keep my piercing eyes on him, smirking before i stop at the end of the couch, clicking my tongue.

"maybe not. your choice."