Chapter 7

Antpebble sighs. He couldn't handle an apprentice, he just isn't ready. "Antpebble, let's train!" This, and "Antpebble, let's hunt!" That! He needed a break for once, he wishes he could go see Pebbleshine, he hadn't seen her since they met up two moons ago. He hadn't seen her at any gatherings, or even on any patrols or battles that the two Clans had had. He didn't know if he would get to see her today, but he wanted to go to the gathering anyways. It wouldn't help his sleep issue, but he could get away from Heatherpaw for a while. Anyways, he had really missed Pebbleshine, and hopes that she is okay. 

            Meanwhile, Heatherpaw is very excited as this is her first gathering. She can't wait to meet new cats, and maybe even gather some information to help out her Clan. Waspwhisker had tried to get Antpebble to teach her how to avoid the apprentices' questions, but eventually, he gave up and just taught her himself. 

            Heatherpaw runs over to the group of cats, following Dovepaw who was following her mentor, Dewnose closely so she didn't get lost.

            Antpebble is still half asleep. "Get up, mousebrain!" Briardawn meows, nudging him. "Everyone is gone except for us two!" He scrambles up, hissing, and runs over to the cats, his long legs making it easy for him to catch up with them. Briardawn is right behind him. They start to near the hollow. When they enter, there are no other cats, BlossomClan is the first Clan there! Antpebble pads over to the back of the hollow and sits down by himself. He looks up at the moon and the stars, then he closes his eyes. After what feels like only heartbeats, DaisyClan arrives, then LilyClan soon after. He then looks at all of the cats, but doesn't register the faces. There is only one cat that he is looking for, but she is not here, nor is her Clan yet. Finally, after what felt like moons, IvyClan arrives. He looks around for a familiar fluffy light gray pelt, and a pair of giant, sparkly pale marshy blue eyes, but he doesn't see them.

            He looks down sadly, just as Foreststar commences the gathering. Antpebble doesn't pay attention to any of the announcements until finally, Vinestar starts talking. "A lot has happened in this past moon for IvyClan." Vinestar bellows, and Antpebble's ears perk up. "We have lost our longtime deputy, Buzzardtail, and he will be missed by his friends and family." She meows, grief cracking in her voice. 'Family?' Antpebble thinks, 'I didn't know Buzzardtail had kits...' "On a much more positive note, one of our queens has just given birth to one kit, Buzzardtail being the father. She couldn't be here tonight, but Pebbleshine has had a healthy new kit named Pinekit." Antpebble's eyes blaze, and his pelt fluffs up in jealousy. "Our new deputy is Stormscreech." She finishes, then backs up from the edge of the willow branch. Antpebble's nose twitches, and he tries to calm down, but is so angry. 'I shouldn't be mad... She had kits with a noble cat from her Clan... It's just... I thought we had something special...' He meows in his head, then shakes it. He weaves around the cats, and out of the hollow, running back to the camp. He stops, then turns over to the border. He runs down it, then all the way to the spot they had met two moons back. Sure enough, Pebbleshine is waiting there for him. "I thought I'd see you here."

            "Buzzardtail?" His voice cracks. "Is it true?" Pebbleshine takes a breath. "Kind of..." She mutters. He closes his eyes, holding back tears. "Kind of? Just answer me straight! I thought we had something..." He whimpers. "Antpebble! I mean kind of, because yes, I had kits, but they aren't his!" She exclaims. "Wait, wha-" He meows, but is cut off by her. "They're yours."

            "I wanted to walk back with him." Heatherpaw sighs. Dovepaw shrugs. "Maybe next time."