.5.

"Are you sure you're ready for this, Sher?" Jonathan asked from Sherwin's doorstep, the orange sorbet sunset behind him.

"You're... you look so... I..."
Sherwin was at a loss for words as he stared at the utter glory of Jonathan. It was a simple tuxedo, but... wow. It was Jon. He looked so stunning in everything.

"C'mon, we don't wanna be late," Jon said with a smile, gesturing to the shiny black SUV that had pulled up outside of Sherwin's house. He opened the door, waiting for Sherwin to slide in before getting in himself.

"Hi, Sherwin, right?" a voice from the driver's seat asked.

"Yes, hello. Are you Jon's mom?" He had never met any of his family before.

"Yep, my name's Jennifer. You can call me Jen," she said warmly. She had the same hair color as Jon, pulled back in a sleek ponytail. She had dark skin, and deep brown eyes.

They drove as dark ink spread across the sky, until they got to the school, where lots of cars were parked.

"Johnny, you go ahead, I wanna talk to Sherwin for a sec." Jen said with a smile.

Jon looked hesitantly at Sherwin before sliding out of the car and walking up to the school. Sherwin looked at Jen with innocent eyes.

She sighed. "I always knew he was gonna date someone good. I just didn't know it would be a boy," she said with a small laugh.

"I don't mind, of course. I'm not homophobic or anything, as some people in this town clearly are. It was just sort of a shock at first. But I see it now- he really is happy around you."

Sherwin cleared his throat, which was tight from stress. "Yeah, I think he really is. I'm so glad I can make him happy." A grin began to tighten upon his face.

She looked troubled as she searched for words. "Just... please don't hurt him. It would break his heart if anything happened, and... I don't... I don't want that to happen. You seem really lovely, and I just hope I'm right."

Sherwin smiled, noticing for the first time her hint of a Latina accent.

"Okay, go have fun. It was nice meeting you, Sherwin." She said conclusively.

He opened the door and slid out, closing it behind him. He walked up to where his boyfriend was standing. He had something in his hand, something pink and blue.

Jonathan grabbed his wrist and tied a ribbon around it. A corsage. Sherwin blushed against his will. Jonathan took a deep breath.

"Ready?"

"Ready."

Reaching out and taking Sherwin's hand in his, they bravely walked into the school. As they walked through crowds, heads turned. People whispered and pointed. You could hear someone say, "See, I told you they were together!"

Jon whispered softly into his boyfriend's curly hair.
"Don't let them intimidate you. We're not afraid to be known."

We're not afraid to be known.

Sher took a deep breath before smiling and squeezing Jon's hand for a moment.

Most people just smiled at the couple. Some eyes lingered, but not for long. This was good.

The beat changed from the loud speaker to a song Jon and Sherwin knew well, it played on the radio all the time.

Don't you dare look back, just keep your eyes on me. I said "you're holding back" she said, shut up and dance with me!

They smiled and twirled along with the other couples. Jon saw a light in Sherwin's eyes that he'd never seen before.

The song ended and turned into something slow. Jon put his body against Sher's and rested his head over his shoulder. Sherwin knotted his hands together at the small of Jon's back.

It was, of sorts, like a hug, but long. That, and they were moving. Jon pressed his cheek against Sherwin's. It felt cold. Actually, nevermind. He thought. He felt Sherwin's hot blush against his own cheek.

They both smiled as the song came to a close. An exited group of girls came over and a blonde one stepped up and said, "Can we take your picture?"
They agreed.

Jon stood with his hand on Sherwin's back. "Okay. One, two, three" There was a bright flash. Before they knew what happened, Sherwin's whole face was red as a tomato, eyes wide.

The girl giggled and handed the Polaroid to Jon, who had a big smile. After shaking it for a moment, an image developed of Jon kissing Sher. On. The. Mouth.