Difficult First Meetings

Samiyah could barely breathe waiting in the waiting room.

All that blood on Ty's face. His eyes closed as if they weren't going to open again. His chest not moving up and down.

It had been six hours since. It was just her and Mrs. Robinson in the waiting room now. Her mother left to get her some food. Mrs. Robinson held Samiyah. She knew that this was tough.

"Where's my baby?" Samiyah heard a soft but determined voice say.

She looked up at a petite woman and the man that came with Ty the first day Ty moved in with Mrs. Robinson. Ty's parents.

Mrs. Robinson gently removed herself from Samiyah and straight to consolidating the woman.

"Tina, calm down. They have him in surgery."

Samiyah looked at Mr. and Mrs. Nelson not knowing what to say.

"What did they say? Is he gonna be okay?" Mr. Nelson asked.

"He's... in critical condition. Possible brain damage." It was like Mrs. Robinson didn't want to say that but she knew she had to tell them the truth. And Samiyah started crying all over again. Her breaths were short.

Then, Mrs. Nelson looked at her.

"That's Samiyah," Mrs. Robinson told them.

Mrs. Nelson's face softened into sorrow.

"Oh, darling." She went to Samiyah and hugged her and kissed her forehead. It made her cry even more as she thought of how Ty hadn't asked for her permission to kiss her either. This is where he gets it from.

"I know, honey. I know."

Samiyah let her hold her. It didn't bother her at all. She'd become accustomed to affection because of Ty.

"I'm Tina, Ty's mom. This is my husband, Wesley."

He nodded toward Samiyah.

"I finally get to meet you. Unfortunately under these circumstances. But everything is going to be okay." She pushed Samiyah back lightly and gave her a smile.

Ty. Ty. Ty. All she could think of looking at this woman was Ty. Thick eyebrows, chocolate eyes, full lips... just like him.

"Family of Ty Nelson," a doctor said. They all stood and went toward the doctor looking nervous, hopeful, terrified, and exhausted.

The doctor, his tag said Dr. Anderson, sighed looking at all of them.

"He's out of surgery, but he's barely breathing on his own. I can take you to his room-"

"Please," Samiyah said frantically. All she wanted was to see him.

"Follow me."

The walk to his room seemed long. Why is it taking so long to get to him? She wanted to scream. They finally were outside of his room. She hesitated before stepping in.

Ty laid on the bed, his eyes closed, but Samiyah didn't fail to notice his lips in a very small, but visible, smile. Of course.

Mrs. Nelson started sobbing and saying, "my baby" over and over. Mr. Nelson was visibly trying to stop himself from crying. Mrs. Robinson walked in slightly after and closed her eyes at the sight.

Bruises and scars were on his face of course. All the tubes and wires and beeping. But it was just a little too unreal for Samiyah. This just wasn't right. Ty was the sweetest person that she ever had the pleasure of coming into contact with. He treated her like a queen; like she mattered. He acted as if she was worth more than big houses, expensive restaurants, and fancy clothes. He taught her that soulmates were real; that there are people who just belong together.

And since he made her optimistic, she chose to believe that he would wake up. If not for himself, his want to be with her.