Chapter 14

"Hey, Mama," I smiled into the phone. I was currently folding the clothes I had bought for the twins. It had been a few months and we found out that we were having two boys. I was excited to tell my mother that not only was I having twins, but boys.

"Hey, sweetheart. How are you?" my mother responded back.

"I'm doing splendid! I have some big news for you!" I smiled. Luke walked in the room with more decorations. He was putting the names of the boys over their cribs. Just in case the twins were identical and he forgot who was who.

"Are you and Luke getting married?!" my mother yelled into the phone, a little too enthusiastic.

"No, but we are having boys!" I squealed.

"Boys? You're having twins!"

"Yes, we are! Two precious baby boys!" I had a huge smile on my face. Luke turned to look at me with a smile on his face.

"Honey, that is fantastic news! I can't wait to meet them in four months!" Mom cheered excitedly. "And I can't wait to see Luke again, it's been too long!"

"It has, I think he misses you. I'm glad to have him back in my life. Eighteen long years apart, how did I survive? Why did I let him go?" I pondered out loud to my mother.

"Hun, just be glad you have him now. I hated seeing you so upset when Luke appeared on TV or in articles. I could tell you wanted to be there, right with him. He loves you too, though. I'm sure he felt bad."

"Mama, he didn't date a single person in almost two decades and I did! I told myself I loved him and still did that to him. He kept his heart for me, I held it for years, but didn't hold him. What I did wasn't fair. He was loyal, I left him because I thought it was best, but it wasn't. I love him so much, Mama. I'm never letting him go again."

"And I don't expect you to," she said, I could hear her smile through the phone. "Now, Carol. I have to go. I'll call you later."

"Bye, Mama," and with that, the call was over. I could feel Luke wrap his arms around me and resting his hands on my baby bump. I followed suit, placing my own hands on top of his. Luke kissed at my neck as I observed the bedroom. Bo and Tate. Those were our sons' names hanging delicately over their cribs.

The room had wide windows, letting in as much natural light as they could. The room was a sky blue, a colour I thought was perfect and complimented well with the brown cribs, dressers, and change table.

The hardwood floor was an even lighter shade of brown, it was beautiful. We had worked so hard on the nursery, from the decorations to the furniture. I couldn't wait to meet my boys and spend most of the first year in this room.

Most of all though, I couldn't wait to spend the rest of my life with Mr. Bryan, who was holding me in his arms. This man was my world, and I expect the twins to be my world as well. Everything was coming together. I love my life, and I couldn't wait to live the rest of it wrapped in Luke's arms.

"How's Yvonne doing?" Luke asked about my mom. I smiled and spun around in his arms, so I could face him.

"She's so excited to meet her grandkids," I told him. "And she still adores you, Luke. Much like I do."

Luke chuckled and lightly pecked my lips. "I adore her too, Carol. She's like a second mom to me. Now what do you want for lunch?"

I thought about it for a moment before smiling. "Mac and Cheese sounds absolutely perfect to me, babe."

***

Five months. I can't believe it's been a whole five months since my world change. Since Luke helped me. Since I've gotten pregnant. I finally have my life back. I was living the dream. How I lived without Luke for eighteen whole damn years is beyond me. But he's hear now and that is all that really matters. I have Luke. I have two bundles of joy waiting to enter the world. I have a good life. The best life. I am so happy. Not to mention I have Til now, helping here and there to prepare for the two little infants.