One

The casket lowered slowly into the ground. He watched the widow clench the handkerchief in her hands until her knuckles turned white and heard her choked sobs. He couldn't move to give her comfort. There was no consoling for the woman who had lost her husband of twenty odd years. His pale blue eyes stared at the coffin until it disappeared into the depths of the earth. He felt the drops of rain begin to hit lightly against his coat, nodding to the passersby as they offered condolences to him. He should have been the first to be laid to rest. He was the one who tempted death to take him. He had no family to leave behind unlike his younger brother. Nathaniel Levi Gibbs had been in the wrong place at the wrong time. He died a hero's death while buying roses for his wife. After taking down the unarmed robber of the store, Nathan was shot twice in the back by the second armed robber that he hadn't seen in the shop. He cleared his throat and took the few steps towards the front row of chairs. He was met with damp, grieving pools of emerald green. His heart ached for her. Without a word, he offered his rough, calloused hand to her.

She accepted his hand and stood slowly to her stiletto heeled feet. For days, her whole world felt like it was shattering to pieces around her. The sense of numbness she felt was overwhelming. She had pushed down the feelings of anger and being cheated out of golden years with her husband. Her husband dying a hero's death was not a consolation to her. A lawyer was not supposed to die in a hail of bullets. The numbness had begun since the police had shown up on her doorstep to give her the devastating news. When Nathan hadn't arrived home at his usual time, she knew in her heart something had happened. Her two children weren't at home. Her daughter and son were sleeping over with their respective friends. As she glanced towards her brother-in-law, she dabbed at her eyes carefully. Since Nathan's death, he had been her rock. He had been at her side when she told the children.

He kept an eye on her silently as they walked towards the black Lincoln Town Car. He was concerned for his sister-in-law. She had been eating like a bird, and he knew she hadn't been sleeping. He slipped his arm around her small waist, feeling the fabric of her smartly tailored black coat. The pace was quickened as the rain came down harder. He opened the door and let her slip inside before him.

She loosened her scarf with a sigh and glanced at the man next to her, adjusting comfortably in the leather seat. "Emmaline and Joseph?"

"Other car," he spoke of his niece and nephew's location.

She nodded her head and stared out the window the rest of the way home, letting silence engulf the confines of the car. The usually quiet block of the Georgetown street was lined with vehicles. She did not feel like facing visitors, but she would. The thought of hearing one more word of sympathy and regret exhausted her. The housekeeper greeted her and Gibbs with an umbrella. He took the umbrella and walked towards the townhouse with his hand on her back, hovering between the blades of her shoulders.

Inside, she rubbed her hands together and glanced around the foyer. Her breath hitched at the sight of Nathan's loafers. She bit her bottom lip and wrapped her arms around herself. The shoes were quickly removed by the housekeeper, Noemi. Jethro touched her shoulder, squeezing it softly. She pushed his hand away and walked into the study. She poured two tumblers of bourbon and abstained from the politeness of waiting for the guest to take the first sip.

He took the bottle from her before she could fill her glass a second time. "You don't need it," he grumbled tersely.

"No, I need my husband," she bit back as her eyes flashed angrily. "He should be here with me. Not you."

"Jenny," he spoke softly yet firmly as he put the bottle back in its place.

"Damn you, Jethro," she hissed as she turned on her heels, exiting the study. She walked into the den and began circling the room to greet everyone.