Six

Gibbs had quit. He had resigned from a job he loved. NCIS had kept him going after the deaths of his wife and daughter. Washington bureaucrats ignoring his recommendation to use a covert insertion to board the vessel Pinpin Pula was on and the lives lost from the terrorist denoting the bomb were too much for him. All because the big wigs didn't want it to be seen and could cover it up as an accident at sea. He had stood there and watched helplessly as the Navy frigate and freighter exploded. The horrifying sight would never be erased from his memory. He was sure it would haunt him for the rest of his days.

Before Jethro had left headquarters, he'd left his badge to Tony. The responsibility of team leader was in someone else's hands. Gibbs had done his duty. He'd saved lives, given justice, and handed out second chances. His time was over. It was someone else's turn, and DiNozzo had large shoes to fill.

Now, he sat in the passenger seat of Donald  Mallard's vintage Morgan. The two long-standing friends were silent. The usually talkative Ducky didn't know what to say to Jethro. The Scotsman  was still in shock that Gibbs had relinquished the reins and given them to DiNozzo. Yes, DiNozzo was a capable agent, but he was no Leroy Jethro Gibbs. There were no demons to push young Anthony forward, and he cared about the opinions of others. Jethro had never given a damn what others thought of him. If it got the job done, he did it. The end  justified the means. Something had happened inside those sound proofed, highly secure walls, and the incident had been enough to jar Gibbs into early retirement. But what that occurrence was, Ducky did not know. He'd have to find out later from Ziva or McGee. If he waited for Jethro to tell him, he'd be waiting for an eternity. There was one certain thing  circling Dr. Mallard's mind – NCIS would never be the same without Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs.

"Duck, changed my mind." Jethro's words were gruff and simple.

"Oh?" Ducky inquired as he maneuvered the busy street, avoiding parked cars and oncoming traffic.

"Take me to Georgetown."

"Jennifer?" The older gentleman asked. The only response he received was Gibbs merely nodding his head. He needed to see her; he needed to make amends. "Jethro, I hardly think that's a good idea," he expressed.

"Duck, take me over there."

Ducky didn't agree with his companion's wishes, but he recognized that obstinate resolve in the former agent's voice. Frankly, Ducky wanted to shake Jethro like a rag doll until the man came to his senses. As he redirected the car for the new destination, he wondered what Gibbs would do with his free time. The medical examiner had a million questions, but he wouldn't dare ask. Jethro followed his gut; he rarely planned. Ducky simply drove his colleague and friend to Georgetown. As Gibbs instructed him to park the car far away from the home, Ducky hoped Jethro would find solace and not become a drunken recluse. Maybe Jenny could be his salvation.

In the study of the townhouse, Jenny was curled up in front of the fireplace, nursing a glass of bourbon. The house was silent and empty except for the crackling of the wood on the fire. All she could think of was Jethro. Maybe she'd been too hard on him. Her words had stung in her mind. But Leroy Jethro Gibbs was an ungrateful bastard. He couldn't see what was right in front of him. He had a woman in his corner and a daughter that craved a semblance of a father in him. She lazily swirled the bourbon in the crystal tumbler and cursed internally for allowing her thoughts to be about that man. He was the slow burn of a midnight cigarette. He was the coffee  lingering on her lips. He was a pair of well-worn boots a person kept in their closet for years. He was a diamond in the rough with a curse. She put the glass to her lips and sighed before finishing off the amber liquid, crossing the study for a refill. Jenny jumped out of her skin when the front door opened without a knock of warning. "Jethro!" she shrieked, putting her hand over her heart and catching her breath. What the hell was he doing here?