Five

Once again, her world had come crashing down around her. Her and tragedy were becoming fast friends, and she didn't care for it. In the backseat of the taxi, Jenny swallowed hard and closed her eyes. How could this happen? She knew how it could happen. She knew the job and the risks yet she didn't throw herself into harm's way like he did. Jenny pushed her bangs away from her eyes and let out a shaky breath. She bit her bottom lip and calmed herself, willing every part of her to be hopeful and optimistic. Maybe this time would be different. It had to be. He was still alive. Tattered and torn but alive. And she couldn't lose him.

Jenny walked with purpose into the hospital, heels clicking on the tile floor. She hated how she hadn't thought to go home and change. No, she had to leave straight from the theatre and come to Portsmouth in  stilettos and a little black dress. The outfit was much better suited for the ballet rather than a level one-trauma unit. Nonetheless, the redhead strode over to the nurse's station and locked eyes with the older female.

"Condition of Special Agent Jethro Gibbs," Jenny  spoke with control yet her body trembled. She couldn't lose Jethro. He couldn't abandon her less than a year after losing Nathan.

The nurse turned to the computer. Her fingers glided over the keys. "Trauma one. No condition listed yet."

She headed for the door. No condition listed yet? What did that mean? Shouldn't they know by now? She would have to see for herself.

"You can't go in there. It's restricted," the nurse, Ethel, informed the redhead as she collided against the door. "To medical personnel," the older woman further explained.

Jenny huffed and turned around. Ethel got up from her seat and stood to her full height as she watched  Jenny. She walked to the nurse and placed her hands on the desk, debating her options. She could shoot her way in if she had her weapon. Maybe she could call in a favor. Jenny fished her credentials out of her  clutch and offered it to the nurse. Maybe the badge would do to get her inside the restricted area.

The nurse took the credentials, and her expression softened. She glanced at the woman in front of her and down to the badge. Jennifer Shepard-Gibbs. "You're his wife? Why didn't you say so?"

She was about to protest but clamped her mouth shut. "I'm sorry. I forget. We're separated," she lied too easily. Gibbs probably thought of her like a wife.
The nurse pressed the button to open the door, and Jenny entered the area.

Her breath hitched when she saw Jethro being  wheeled in the gurney to a room, surrounded by doctors and nurses. She put her hand over her chest and took a deep breath when the doctor noticed her.

"Mrs. Gibbs?"

The redhead nodded her head briefly and looked at the man with watery eyes.

"I'm Dr. Tolliver. He's suffered a concussion, but there are no signs of intra-cerebral hemorrhaging."

"Will Jethro be okay?"

"He should be fine."

Jenny closed her eyes. She would accept the doctor's words; she had no other choice. She carefully watched as the medical team moved Gibbs into his  room and onto the bed. Jenny had never seen Jethro so helpless.

"Mrs. Gibbs, I'm always positive. With a concussion, until...until he wakes, no one knows what's going on inside his brain."

She bit her lip and stared into the room at her brother-in-law. His head was wrapped in gauze, and tubes assisting his breathing. There were burns to his face and his left hand was heavily bandaged. She blinked, stopping a tear from flowing down her cheek. "Will I be able to stay with him?"