Chapter 4

"Thank you very much for the meal, Mrs. Averin. It was very good," said Sarah as she wiped her face with her napkin. Yaakov got up and grabbed the plates, and put them by the sink.

"I'm glad you thought so. It's been a while since we have had a guest over. Thank you for coming," Yaakov's mother said with a sweet smile. The aura that surrounded her was pleasant.

"I think I should go ahead and head home before it gets too cold for me to walk," Sarah said, peering out the kitchen window that hovered over the sink.

"Would you like me to walk you home, Sarah?" Yaakov asked as he scrubbed down the dishes, splashing water here and there.

"No, thank you. I'm pretty sure I can find my way home," she said as she got up from the table. She walked over to Yaakov and gave him a hug. She thanked his mother once again, giving her a small hug.

"Thank you, dear. Please don't be a stranger, okay?" she said.

Sarah walked to the door and slipped on her shoes. She grabbed her coat and slipped it, throwing her backpack over her shoulder. This was nice, she thought to herself. She felt unjudged and welcome for the first time in a year.

Yaakov showed up behind her and smiled. He stepped to the door and waited until Sarah was done and ready to leave.

"I'll see you at school tomorrow," Yaakov said with a cheery smile. Yaakov then opened the door and led Sarah out of the house. There were flakes falling here and there. Sarah grumbled as she tightened her coat, trying not to think of the cold. She and Yaakov waved at each other as she walked down the driveway until she couldn't see him any longer.

"Hmm. I guess I better find my way home before it gets too dark," she mumbled as she approached the sidewalk. "Damn, maybe I should have taken Yaakov's offer. Oh well, it's too late now." Sarah looked down the road where she recognized the bus stop.

Sarah started walking slowly down the street, thinking about what had happened at the house. His father was gone, and he doesn't blame any one person. But then, that change in his mood. It was so strange.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a figure that she thought to have been following at a distance. She stopped for a moment and glanced back. Nothing was there. She turned back and began to walk again but at a faster pace. Sarah didn't want to think too much of it, and she wanted to get home. She turned the corner and continued walking down the next street and saw that some street lamps were turning on. Ugh. This sucks. I should have said yes to Yaakov. She still felt as if someone was following her, but every time she looked back, no one was there.

Rounding one more corner, Sarah finally came up to a small house with some pale green bushes growing by the door. How anything grew in this snow was a mystery. Sarah walked up to the door and took out a small key. She jammed the key into the hole, fiddling with the lock, until she heard the click. Unlocked, Sarah turned the doorknob, swinging the door open and quickly walking in. She quickly swung the door shut with a slam that she was pretty sure vibrated the whole house. Click. The door was locked again.

She took a moment, leaning against the door, listening to her heart racing in her ears. She dropped her bag and slipped off her shoes. Hesitantly, she looked out the peep but saw no one. A quick sigh of relief escaped her lips as she turned back to the innards of her home. It was rather empty besides a small couch and a TV in the gray walled living room. The dark, hard wood floor was brightened by a rectangular, multicolored rug. Matching  curtains hung over the windows, blocking out any light. Straight ahead was a small kitchen with a glass table decorated with a small white pot filled with light pink flowers. With it were two grey chairs. They all sat by a large window with white curtains that we're held open by metal rings.