Raindrops and Revelations

Chat only meant to see her once. The winter had been cold and Adrien was not at all inclined to stay in his house which he felt was even colder. The rain had been successful for days, a steady downpour on the citizens had meant that not many people left their houses, and in succession, not many akumas were active. Those that had been were defeated easily, his Lady incredibly diligent at getting rid of them. Himself playing the distraction was perhaps more problematic. This past week he only saw her on patrol where they lingered for a little after chatting, anything to prevent him from going home. She knew about the turmoil at home, she knew all about it, everything except his name and of course his father's.

So now as he perched himself on a rooftop parallel to the Dupain-Cheng bakery he wondered what made both of the girls so easy to talk to. Sitting near her little alcove he also questioned why she was outside on a night like tonight, cold, wet and not at all pleasant. His cat-like capabilities had gone above and beyond recently, and due to the recent rains, he had felt unreasonably uneasy. Before Plagg, he had loved the rain but after becoming Chat Noir, Adrien always felt a strong sense of repulsion for unaccountable reasons. It must have been his wide eyes, as a fat drop fell on his nose, that gave him away, the flash of green impossible to mistake.

Marinette had been sitting outside for more than an hour, the tiny bit of cover keeping her, and her drawings safe from the rain. Rather than the rain being humid, much as it had been the past couple of days, it was colder today, and she was regretting not bringing a coat up with her but was far to enwrapped in her work to move. She had been rather distracted these past few days, not with school, nor akumas; she had dealt with them quite deftly if she was honest, but with two equally annoying and charming green-eyed boys. As Ladybug, Chat had confessed to a terrible home life, much like her friend's in her civilian life. The more he talked the more she realised how truly horrible Chat's father was. And how he deserved so much better.

And this was how she came to the conclusion that there was only one person that could possibly be Chat Noir. Because only one other person confessed to her that much about their home life. And one person could only endure all of that, step up to the role of Chat Noir and still be the kindest person she knew. Adrien. And this was the thought that kept her up all night, every night, for the past week. Thinking about the crazy blonde hair and the beautiful green eyes. The eyes that were staring out across the rooftops at her.

There was only one person who had those eyes. And only one person who flinched at the drop of rain on their nose. Chat Noir. Come to visit her personally. Again. She was beginning to wonder if he knew. A clap of thunder right on cue and a strike of lightning close by was enough to send Chat bounding her way. The wind began to blow a gale and Chat landed on her balcony, sliding along the floor and landing smoothly next to her on the deck chair.

"Well hello, Princess," he said smoothly, pushing a few runaway strands off of his forehead.

"Good evening, Kitty," she said, aware of the pick-up in her heartbeat. Through the shade sail over their heads, a drop snuck through, landing on Chat's, no Adrien's, head, and rolling down the glorious blonde strands down onto his broad shoulders, glistening every inch it slid.

"If you call this a good evening you must be barking mad," he said.

"I like the smell of rain," she shrugged, reaching up to his hair, ruffling it. "You, however, don't appear to like it at all."

"No I don't," he replied.

"Then why on earth are you out in the rain?" she questioned.

"Honestly," he said, "I couldn't stand being in my room any longer. It's so cold in that house and I'm not talking about the temperature..."