Chapter Three

"It's ridiculous," said Bell to Cricket. "You're ridiculous."

Cricket was sued to Bell's reactions whenever he dared her to do something. Cricket made bets about anything and everything. From seeing how many cartwheels you could do before the streetlight turned green, to reciting people's names backwards.

There was never a reason behind them, you never won or lost anything. Cricket simply enjoyed the thrill of the bet.

He sat up, "Go on Bell; give it your best shot!"

"Fine," she crossed her arms. "You have to name ten different types of blue crayola crayons, before that woman reaches the cashier."

Cricket grinned, "Alright."

"Ready?"

He nodded.

"Okay. Start!"

Cricket began, "Light blue, midnight blue, blizzard blue..."

Bell's fingers lifted with every word that left Cricket's mouth.

"Navy blue, Klein blue..."

He looked around the shop for inspiration.

"Turquoise Blue... Teal Blue, Pacific blue..."

The woman turned then, and began walking towards them.

"Midnight blue...?"

Bell shook her head, "Already said it."

"Sky blue!"

The woman walked closer.

"Ocean blue? Sea blue?"

Bell cracked a smile, "Don't exist." She waved one remaining finger.

"Crap. Ink Blue? Space blue? Blueberry blue?"

Bell's head kept shaking, her shoulders beginning to bounce with laughter.

"Maybe just blue...? Blue!"

The woman dumped her purchase on the counter, just as Bell's finger lowered.

Both friends laughed. The woman stared at them curiously. It was never boring at Al's.

                                                                    ❖

The summer heat engulfed Cricket as he descended the steps from the supermarket. Behind him, Bell was searching for the keys to lock the door. He took several steps forward, and focused his eyes on the dried grass that covered the ground path beneath him. He was careful to not step on it.  

"I need a coffee," he declared.

"A warm drink?" Bell approached him. "You're crazy. It's too hot for a coffee."

Cricket turned to stare at his friend, crossing his arms over his chest. "It's never too hot for a coffee, Bell." He said simply, then walked ahead of her and crossed the street towards the fused neon sign of Bert's Coffee Shop.

Once inside, Bell charmed her way to the counter, and ordered their every day special; a black coffee for Cricket, and a pack of cigarettes for herself. They ended up sitting outside, in one of the many warm metal chairs scattered in front of the shop. Bell sat under the shade of an umbrella, and Cricket in plain heat.

"You know," began Bell as she searched for a lighter. "Sometimes I'd like to drive away. To a place I've never been too."

Cricket regarded her. He was long accustomed to Bell's casual outbursts of consciousness.