darling just dive right in, and follow my lead

PROMPT: "My best friend is getting married to your best friend and we have to walk down the aisle together, I remember never really liking you but you look so good in this, wow"  

°°°

"Ugh, I hate weddings."

"No one's going to marry you so don't worry, boo; you're in the clear."

"Fuck you, Balsano."

"You've been there and done that, Smith."

He knows she's seconds away of slapping him, but annoying his blonde friend had always been too much fun to pass out. He hasn't seen her in almost seven years, but teasing her is still as fun as it had been in high school, and he likes it. It's a sense of familiarity in a place surrounded by strangers.

Leaving Argentina after his junior year of high school was to be expected. His parents moved around a lot and staying more than a couple of years in one place had been basically impossible in his childhood, so he tried his best to not get attached to people he knew he was probably never going to see again the next year. Of course, leave it to Gastón to not allow that.

Even after leaving, his best friend made sure to keep in touch, refusing to be just another face he acquainted through the years. So, he e-mailed, texted, called, even visited him once or twice on their senior year; ultimately leading to both enrolling in Oxford and rooming together through all semesters.

Matteo had seen Gastón go through many phases on his life, and he was there when he broke it off for a couple of months with his girlfriend when he left for England, saw how difficult the distance had been on him; but he also saw Gastón pick himself up and fight for the love of who, by tomorrow evening, would be his wife. He was proud, and more than happy to see his best friend marry someone who made him happy, too.

He did resent the fact that he barely knew anyone in the wedding, though. He was stuck with Queen Ámbar and Her Royal Bitch attitude.

"No wonder you and Gastón are friends, you both are dicks." She huffs, and if it weren't because her hair's up, he's sure she'd flip it like she used to in high school.

He snorts. "And you need to get laid."

By now, Ámbar's patience is gone. She flips him off and turns away, ignoring him. Matteo's about to joke his way out of her anger when his best friend approaches them, his grin so wide it takes half his face. He's holding two glasses of whiskey, and hands him one.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't the Blake's power couple of our generation! The flashbacks are real, and so are the déjà vus... that glare and that smirk... so 2016." Ámbar flips him off, too, and walks away, cursing them lowly. Gastón shouts before she's out of hearing range, "Nina's looking for you, by the way! Bridesmaids meeting!"

This takes Matteo off guard, "Ámbar is a bridesmaid?! Didn't she hate Nina in high school?"

His friend snorts, "they still can't stand each other, but one of Nina's friends from college ditched the bridesmaid position because she had a job interview out of the city. We had to fill her place."

"And you thought of Ámbar?!"

"Not really," Gastón admits, "we asked Delfi first, but she's very much pregnant and said she wouldn't walk the isle at 36 weeks."

Matteo interrupted him, "dude, you asked your ex-girlfriend to be one of your fiancée's bridesmaids?"

His answer is a shrug, "Nina and she are friendly, and her husband is one of my groomsmen. It's chill." Then he continues, "anyway, after that we asked Jazmín, but she said there was no way in hell she was wearing a yellow bridesmaid dress."