The Engines That'll Start It

Hey guys! I should note that you should REALLY reread chapter two as that has had to be edited. Anyways, sorry for taking so long to update this story, to sum up what happened, College happened, and this story just has a real annoying story behind, one of just rewrite after rewrite, this one was redo three, because the first draft went completely off track with the direction of the story. Then the second edited draft forgot that Misty was suppose to be CONFLICTED so it lead to rewriting chapter two which resulted in some changes here. And yeah... Let's just get going with this:

***

The Engines That'll Start It

"Errrrrruuuuuggghhhhh...!" Misty groaned, exasperated. "Where did those two go off?" She pondered impatiently. It was not long after Ash disappeared during after he finished his own dinner that Tracey then decided to leave her behind, saying something along the lines of having to have an 'important discussion' of sorts with Ash. And so there she was, all by her lonesome self in the center's lobby.

"Pri, togeprri?" Togepi chirped, wondering what was going on.

Misty sighed. "I'm just wondering what's taking them so long. Unless... Team Rocket's about and I didn't hear it?!" she panicked. "No... That can't be it. Ugh! I hate not knowing where Ash is sometimes! Or what he's doing, yeah... all right, that's it! We're going to go find them! Training shouldn't take him that long..."

Misty didn't have to look far, just after she walked out the back door of the Pokémon Center she was expecting to hear Ash shouting at the top of his lungs at some random opponent of his, or the sounds of one of Team Rocket's machines causing some sort of terror, but the battlefields were bare empty, and the night air was peaceful. As she looked, she saw off to the sides at the bottom of the Poke center's property line the very benches where she recognized a blue jacket and a teal shirt. "Oh, so there you two are, I was-... HUH?!"

There was Ash – the boy she found herself of all people liking. That dense idiot who fought a bird with a bug, and pinned an electric rat against a giant rock snake Pokémon – was talking with, another girl, and oh no, she was pretty, and way more girly than what Misty knew she could match up to... In other words, she definitely looked like competition. As if trying to get Ash's attention wasn't hard enough for her already.

"Oh. Hiya Misty!" Ash called, standing up in respect for her. He motioned to the brunette who was sitting next to him. "Misty, this is Leaf, a trainer from... I'm sorry, where did you say you were from?"

Leaf giggled, it sent a chill down Misty's spine – she was never good at controlling her jealousy. "Oh Ash, you're such a ditz," Leaf snickered, "I'm from Celadon City. I just recently came here to expand my horizons after hearing about these regional variant Pokémon that are said to live out here."

"Um..." Misty began, "It's a pleasure, Leaf." "Oh come on Misty, get yourself together," she inwardly scolded herself, "You barely know her. This Leaf seems nice enough. I guess..." It was then Ash invited her to sit down, and whilst admittedly there was far more room next to Tracey who was sitting across from Ash and Leaf, Misty quickly walked around the table to join Ash on his right side.

Leaf found herself curious by this choice of seating, but chose not to acknowledge it since Ash and Tracey weren't saying anything about it themselves.

Ash awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck before turning to Misty, a slight blush on the bridge of his nose. "So, guess you got bored waiting on us, huh?"

"What do you think?" she snapped moodily, glaring at both Ash and Tracey. "Leaving me behind without any explanation? I was starting to worry you know?!" With that last remark she stared coldly at Ash, annoyed, and also feeling a mixture of hurt at feeling forgotten about.