20. The Meeting

Today was judgement day. After the devastating revelation about dad I had no time to flounder in self-pity. Today was our meeting with the social worker. Dressed in my smart hip length black jacket, my black skirt, peach silk blouse with matching hijab ready to meet the social worker. It was a case conference to discuss the progress of the children. Attending the meeting would be teachers, school nurse, speech and language therapist who were helping us with the children. Since they'd placed the interim care order, this was the next scheduled meeting. It was imperative for me and Zayn to put on a united front. We had to show the social worker we had everything under control and the children were safe and happy.

The meeting was at 11 o'clock at the children's school and Zayn was coming straight from work to the meeting, or so I hoped. Living with Zayn I realised he was hopeless at time keeping and punctuality. I had to send him numerous text messages to remind him.

I stood in front of the mirror psyching myself to meet the social workers sending positive messages through my body. Yesterday was gone. It was over. I had to forget that low moment when I was ready to cut myself and undo the hard work I'd put in over the years. I had to focus on the children and ensuring they stayed with us. Now, I was on Zayn's side after hearing about his difficult childhood. I knew dad wanted Zayn to fail, but with me by his side, I wouldn't let Zayn fail. I had his back.

When I made my way to the car, mum's name flashed on my mobile phone

"Great! That's all what I need." My psyching, emotional positivity would be of no use in front of my mum. She had the magic powers to defuse my positive energy and make me feel useless. However, if I didn't answer, she'd probably thought I was dead, or dying given she was reeling from the shock of Zeenat.

"Ji ammi." I answered.

"Dhi (daughter), you haven't called." Her tone was soft and apologetic sucking me into a vacuum of empathy.

"Don't you care about your parents anymore?" Mum began to work the good old guilt trip. "Your dad is very ill, he hasn't gone work."

That was probably due to the fact he realised the project was a colossal financial black hole and he couldn't face going back to work. Nevertheless, I listened to mum's emotional blackmail.

"Last night he didn't sleep and he hasn't eaten a morsel. I suggest you return home and talk to him. Now, you are his only child."

There. That was it. I was his only child. That meant I had to do everything to make dad happy, regardless of what he threw at me. He didn't have a responsibility towards me. No, because my dad was devoid of that. It's my job as the loyal, ONLY child to apologise to him.

"I can't ammi." I bit my tongue holding back the verbose of anger.
"I have an appointment with the social worker." I locked the front door and made my way to the car.
"I'm sure Zayn can go. You need to come home." She ordered me with thick tone with authority.
"This is my home. The children are my responsibility and I have to be with Zayn." I clicked the phone in the holder and began to drive out of the street.
"So, what shall I tell your dad? When are you coming? He wants to see you and the children?"
"When I'm free mum. Please I have to go. I'm driving. You do know the police have doubled the fine and points if they catch me on my mobile. I can't afford it on my insurance."
Wow. I took control. I was assertive and prioritised my schedule. Well done Zohra. I wasn't going to drop everything at the click of dad's fingers and come running to him. Not the new Zohra. She was here to stay. She was important.

Once I got mum off the phone I quickly dialled Salma thinking about her evening with her husband.

"Well? What happened? Did he stay?"