7. Marriage of Convenience

Author's note: ...and here we go. 

For those of you who have read these chapters, I have made slight tweaks to the chapters. So be sure to have a re-read. There have been changes. 

____________________________________________

Friday is an auspicious prayer day. It's the day of jummah. A congregational prayer that Muslims hold every Friday. We wash. We pray. We strive to better ourselves. Today, after jummah, in the eyes of my family, I would do a good deed and better myself. I would marry Zayn Azlan; my sister's husband.

Dressed in a baby pink dress with a white embroidered edge. Salma plaited my hair snaking in front towards my navel. She pinned white flowers through my hair giving the impression my black locks were a bed of flowers. Contrary to the intricate mehndi patterns brides adorned their hands, my palms were plain. I wore two small gold drop earrings with a matching necklace that was made for my first wedding to Amjad. I kept the make-up, minimal. A simple lip gloss with a base foundation to lighten my dusky complexion and make it an acceptable lighter shade for a bride.

I sat in the living room with my aunties and cousins gazing at me like I was a show piece. Today wasn't a normal wedding day. It was a sombre wedding; a compromise. I thought back to the day when we congregated to mourn the loss of my sister. Today there were muted smiles on everyone's faces like they had painted me with war paint ready to enter the battle ground as a martyr.

"We're so proud of you." Auntie Sakinah said placing her hands on my shoulders. "The children can be only loved like a mother by you."

Everyone was proud of me. This was a marriage of convenience. A sacrifice. My stomach twisted with nerves and my bladder played havoc. Mum buzzed around with the guests offering them sweets, and snacks. Zayn's name was whispered just like the time when Zeenat first met him.

We returned home from college. Her cheeks blushed with rouge, her skin radiant after seeing him.

"He is so hot!" She exclaimed pulling the remote off me so I would listen. All she wanted was to talk about the man in the yellow hard hat, dressed in a neon visibility vest stood high on a scaffold platform. However, I was interested in was catching the latest episode of the Australian soap, Home and Away.

"Who do you think he whistled at?" She lay back on the settee with her legs up in the air and feet pressed against the wall.
"He whistled at me, Zeenat. It's me he's being ogling." I rolled my eyes, my voice dripping in sarcasm. "I'm going to ask him out."

"Really?" She turned around and missed the sarcasm laden in my tone. I knew Zeenat wanted me to compliment her. To say she was prettier than me, and obviously he whistled at her. Standing beside her, I was the ugly duckling and she was the number one choice. But I didn't give her that satisfaction and bit into my fish finger sandwich and increased the volume.

Back in our house,  Zayn arrived and was seated in the guest room.

"Salma, ask the children to come in here." I neared her holding my clutch purse in my hands.

"I think they're shy."

Half an hour later,  dad arrived into the living room with uncle Rashiq, Sadaqat and the imam. It was time. I took a deep breath. my chest tightened. This was madness. I had to object. But all eyes were on me. I couldn't embarrass my parents. The ladies draped their heads with scarves and I bowed my head. The imam began the prayer to commence the nikaah ceremony.

My mind dived into the sea of memories when Zeenat and I met Zayn in the park one summer afternoon. They had been dating for 4 weeks after he incessantly pursued her. By then, they were smitten with each other. On the park bench Zeenat sat on Zayn's lap force feeding him ice cream in a bid to eat it off his face.