Chapter 3: A Closer Connection

MERRY CHRISTMAS GUYSSSS (or Christmas Eve or post-Christmas idk bout all ur time zones)!!!!! Even if you don't celebrate Christmas, MERRRY CHRISTMAS ANYWAYS!!!!!! So I've got the rest of the story sorted out and there's 8 chapters (the last chap is sorta like an epilogue). I know, i know, thats still not much. But I'll do my best to make sure they are much longer than my previous chapters. I got 3 comments last chap bout if you guys want Merthur or Arwen, and they all want Merthur, so Merthur it is!!!!! Ok I'll shut up now.
PS: whenever there's italics, that's Merlin and Kilgharrah talking inside their heads. Just to clarify.

Kilgharrah's looming figure landed on the grass with an elagance that you wouldn't expect from a creature his size.

"Young warlock." The Great Dragon aknowledged, inclining his scaly head.

"Kilgharrah, I wouldn't have called you if the situation was not dire." I replied, finding it increasingly difficult to keep my voice from wavering. I took a deep breath, and ploughed on. "Arthur's been stabbed by a sword forged in a dragon's breath, and he's dying." I turned to the person in question, who had been shocked into silence at the scene unfolding before him.

"Ah, the young Pendragon." The dragon mused.

"I thought you were dead!" Arthur's heated voice cut through the clearing. Being directly addressed by a creature that he thought he'd slain seemed to have been the last straw for him. His eyes swiveled to meet mine.

"Merlin, care to explain what in the Lord's name it's doing here?"

"Calm yourself, Pendragon. Do I seem like a foe to you?" Kilgharrah demanded.

"That's going a long way to forget that you attacked Camelot a few years ago." I shot at him. Kilgharrah shut his mouth. My attention diverted back to the wounded form of my king.

"I know this looks bad, Arthur." I pleaded, walking towards him. "But Kilgharrah's the only hope we have."

"So that's his name, is it?" He snapped in the direction of the dragon.

"Please, Arthur." I knelt down to his eye level, placing a hand on the side of his face. "Trust me."

Arthur's blue eyes bore into mine uncertainly, before murmuring a soft "Okay, then."

I flashed him a grin as my hands wound around his waist, and pulled him up, cursing the fact that there was no spell to hide blushes. I turned to face Kilgharrah, and said "We need to get to the Isle Of The Blessed."

"As you wish, young warlock." The dragon replied. As I helped Arthur hoist himself onto Kilgharrah's back, a smug voice burrowed into my head.

So, now it's you and the young Pendragon. I applaud your taste in men.

Shut up, Kilgharrah. We aren't together.

Well, you better make a move, then.

GODDAMIT KILGHARRAH!

Okay, okay!

Merlin hopped onto the creature's back, and gripped onto one of it's scales with one hand, the other securing Arthur into my grip. To say that he looked mortified would have been an understatement. After all, riding on a species that his father had spent a good deal of his life trying to wipe out must seem like it could give Gwaine's wildest dreams a run for their money. I honestly couldn't blame him, but it was either this, or losing the only thing in this cruel world that actually mattered to me.

For multiple reasons, the second option didn't seem all that welcoming.

"It's okay." I murmured, gently caressing Arthur's cheekbone. My heart definitely did not flutter when I noticed that he leant into the touch.