The Polyjuice Potion

The double attack on Justin and Nearly Headless Nick turned what had hitherto been nervousness into real panic. Curiously, it was Nearly Headless Nick’s fate that seemed to worry people most. What could possibly do that to a ghost? People asked each other; what terrible power could harm someone who was already dead? There was almost a stampede to book seats on the Hogwarts Express so that students could go home for Christmas. “At this rate, we’ll be the only ones left,” Ron told Harry, Hermione, and I. “Us, Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle. What a jolly holiday it’s going to be.”

Crabbe and Goyle, who always did whatever Malfoy did, had signed up to stay over the holidays, too. But Harry was probably the most glad that most people were leaving. He told me he was tired of people skirting around him in the corridors, as though he was about to sprout fangs or spit poison; tired of all the muttering, pointing, and hissing as he passed.

Fred and George, however, found all this very funny. They went out of their way to march ahead of Harry down the corridors, shouting, “Make way for the Heir of Slytherin, seriously evil wizard coming through...” Percy was deeply disapproving of this behavior. “It is not a laughing matter,” he said coldly. “Oh, get out of the way, Percy,” said Fred. “Harry’s in a hurry.”

“Yeah, he’s off to the Chamber of Secrets for a cup of tea with his fanged servant,” said George, chortling. Ginny didn’t find it amusing either. “Oh, don’t,” she wailed every time Fred asked Harry loudly who he was planning to attack next, or when George pretended to ward Harry off with a large clove of garlic when they met. Harry didn’t seem to mind, but their antics seemed to be aggravating Draco, who looked increasingly sour each time he saw them at it.

“It’s because he’s bursting to say it’s really him,” said Ron knowingly. “You know how he hates anyone beating him at anything, and you’re getting all the credit for his dirty work.” “Not for long,” said Hermione in a satisfied tone. “The Polyjuice Potion’s nearly ready. We’ll be getting the truth out of him any day now.” I tapped my chin thoughtfully. “You know, we could just slip him some truth potion. He’d just spill all the truths he knows.” Hermione blatantly ignored me.

At last the term ended, and a silence deep as the snow on the grounds descended on the castle. I found it peaceful, rather than gloomy, and enjoyed the fact that Harry, Hermione, the Weaslys, and I had the run of Gryffindor Tower, which meant we could play Exploding Snap loudly without bothering anyone, and practice dueling in private. Fred, George, and Ginny had chosen to stay at school rather than visit Bill in Egypt with Mr. and Mrs. Weasly. Percy, who disapproved of what he termed their childish behavior, didn’t spend much time in the Gryffindor common room. He had already told them pompously that he was only staying over Christmas because it was his duty as a prefect to support the teachers during this troubled time. I told him pompously that he was both a prat and a git.

Christmas morning dawned, cold and white. Hermione and I were the only ones in our dormitory left. Hermione left early to add stuff into the potion. Since I have trouble getting up in the morning, Hermione thought it prudent to dump ice-cold water on me. My sheets were soaked, poor Muggle was drenched, and I accidently cursed out Hermione. She apologized, of course, but I was still muttering darkly under my breath after she magically dried me off before we went to get the boys.

Hermione, who burst in, fully dressed and carrying presents for them both (and me because she wouldn’t let me open it on my bed), waked Harry and Ron, also the only ones left in their dormitory, very early. “Wake up,” she said loudly, pulling back the curtains at the window. “Hermione, Nyx — you’re not supposed to be in here —” said Ron, shielding his eyes against the light. “Merry Christmas to you, too,” said Hermione, throwing him his present. “I’ve been up for nearly an hour, adding more lacewings to the potion. It’s ready.” Harry sat up, suddenly wide-awake. “Are you sure?”