Chapter Twenty Three

Max's POV:

John stares at me with wide eyes, shocked and heartbroken at what I just said.

"I know it's hard to hear this, but Leo has made me the happiest I have ever been in years," I tell John honestly. He bites his lip and looks down, tears forming at the edges of his eyes.

"John, I'm really sorry," I start, placing my hands on his cheeks and wiping away the few tears rolling down his face.

"Max, you're the only girl I have ever loved," John whispers to me. I hug him tightly, wrapping my arms around his neck.

"It's okay, John. You'll find someone else, I promise," I tell John. John hesitates before saying something else.

"Um, there might already be someone else..." John trails off. I break away from him and smile happily.

"Who is it?" I ask him, urging him to keep going.

"Um, well..." John starts, and sighs. "I kind of like...Calypso..." John trails off. I'm shocked at this. John likes Calypso? That's...sudden, but actually perfect.

"Okay, tell her. You're a great guy, John, I know you two have a chance," I tell him. John smiles at me, now in a happy way, not in a loving way like before, which is honestly kind of a relief.

"But, what about Leo? She probably still loves him..." John replies and I think of a crazy idea.

"Bring her here. I want to talk to her," I tell John. He looks at me like I'm crazy.

"Max, she probably hates you right now! She won't listen to anything you say-" John begins to rant but I cut him off with a wave of my hand.

"Just bring her here, John," I repeat. John sighs then nods his head.

"Fine, but be careful with what you say to her. No need to cause even more drama," John warns me then walks out of the room. I sigh as he walks away. I sit on the bed, softly rubbing the glowing purple scar on the side of my neck. I know Calypso hates me for what I did to her, and I want to make it right between us. Also, if things work out, I could probably hook Calypso up with John and he'll be happy again.

I bite my lip, thinking this over.

This is going to fail, isn't it?

Calypso's POV:

I sit on the couch, repeating the scene of what happened at the dinner table over and over again. Leo and Max are deeply in love with each other, I know that, but I can't help but feel angry and jealous. I've loved a lot of guys in the past thanks to the curse placed on me by the gods, but Leo's the first one that actually came back for me and the first one I've actually started dating, and now he's gone.

I sigh and look around. Everyone seems to be happy, either with their friends, family, or loved one, and then there's me. I hate my father, the titan Atlas, I've only heard of a few half-sisters I have like Zoë Nightshade, also a daughter of Atlas, but she's dead, and I don't know of any other siblings but the Hesperides and I have no idea where my mother, Tethys, is.

I feel like I'm about to start crying when I hear someone call my name. I turn around and John Smith, Max's ex-boyfriend, is walking towards me. I'm not sure what to feel about him. I think I should feel bad for him. Max is actually a really great girl- very loyal, brave. and kind, and he lost her. He must despise Leo right now.

"Calypso, Max wants to talk to you," John informs me, which surprises me. Why does Max want to talk to me? Does she want to wave Leo in my face and kiss him the moment I see her? Or something else?

"Okay," I reply simply and John leads me to a room with its door closed. I play the scenario of Max and Leo kissing each other the moment I walk into the room, but then I remember that Max is a very kind girl. She wouldn't do something like that.

John pushes the door open and Max is in there, sitting on the bed, alone. She looks up and smiles sadly when she sees me. She's acting a lot nicer to me than I thought. I walk in the room and John softly closes the door behind me. I walk up to Max and sit down next to her. She's wearing a bright orange Camp Half-Blood t-shirt and a pair of blue jeans. Her appearance has really changed from the first time I met her. Now she has dazzling, bright emerald green eyes and longer and curly bright red hair. She has a few freckles, which makes her a bit prettier.

"Calypso, I need to say: I'm really sorry for what I did to you," Max apologizes and I'm taken aback. I thought about a bunch of things Max was going to do when I got here, but apologizing to me was not one of them.

"Apologize? For what?" I ask her and she sighs.

"I know about the curse the gods placed on you, about loving every hero who crashes onto your island, and Leo's the only one who actually brought you back, and I just took him away from you..." Max trails off, looking down. I know she feels bad for taking Leo away from me, and the look on her face proves it. No one can fake a look like that.

"Max, I-" I start, but I can't find the right words. All anger that I've ever felt for Max has just washed away quicker than I could blink.

"It's okay if you don't forgive me Calypso. Actually, you can just leave right now," Max tells me, looking down again, and I spot the deep purple scar around her neck. She's been through things no one should ever go through and Leo is one of the only people keeping her going. Besides, Max and Leo loved each other before Leo even met me. How could I not forgive her?

"Of course I forgive you, Max. Besides, I actually took Leo away from you. You two loved each other long before Leo met me. Then you two separated and he landed on my island and I just took him away from you," I explain to Max, who shakes her head.

"You didn't know about me," Max points out and I shake my head. Max will truly hate me after I tell her this.

"Actually, I did," I inform her. Max looks up at me, confused.

Gods she's going to hate me.

--------------------