Chapter 1

A/N Hope you all enjoy this first part! Leave a comment about what you thought of it and don't forget to vote when you're done reading! Follow me for more:)

Aurora's POV

I hung up as I walked into Arrivals, and went to wait in Costa where my mum had told me she would be in ten minutes. Just enough time to finish the book I was reading, I thought to myself as I sat down with an iced lemonade, my favourite. Thank god I was back in England - much as I had loved doing volunteer work in South Africa, I was ready to come back and see my family again. I only had 8 months until I went to America to university and I was already super excited.

'Rory!' I heard the familiar voice of my brother Mikey as my family came up to me.

'Mikey!' I said as I hugged him, 'You've grown! How's school?'

He had just started senior school and he talked excitedly about how much he had loved it until we were out of the airport and most of the drive home as well. I could hardly even get a word in edgeways to greet my parents, let alone to hold a conversation with them.

As we got home, my dad took my bags inside and I went straight upstairs to bed. Travelling is truly exhausting and I was so glad to be back in my own warm bed after 6 months away.

I was starting work in two days, which was going to be interesting. I wasn't sure whether I was excited or not but I guess I was happy that I wouldn't be doing nothing for 8 months. Much as I wanted to read and study a bit to prepare myself for America, I didn't want it to take over my whole time.

The next day, I woke up to my mum shouting at me because my best friend was downstairs. What the hell is she doing here at this time of the morning? I thought as I pulled on some trackies - only before I realised that it was two o'clock in the afternoon. Wow.. I had been asleep for a whole 16 hours.

'Rory! Shit man, you're so tanned!' Cat exclaimed as she saw me. I laughed and followed her into the kitchen to get myself some breakfast.

We exchanged stories about the first half of our gap years and talked about people we hadn't seen for ages. Well, six months at least.

'Have you talked to Sam?' Cat asked. Sam was my ex and he was an amazing guy who went a bit off the rails and started pushing me around a little too often. I broke up with him two days before I left for Africa and to tell the truth, I hadn't thought about him that much, let alone talked to him.

'No, I haven't really had a chance, not that I want to', I replied thoughtfully. I guess I did miss him, at least how he was at first. But I couldn't stay with him towards the end, I didn't want to end up how he was as well.

'Good, you're better off without him', Clara said and we both laughed, although mine was a little forced. I just never knew what to think about Sam anymore. I hoped he wouldn't talk to me so I wouldn't have to care, and I sure as hell hoped that he wasn't staying with his parents, who lived just up my road.

That night as I was drifting off to sleep, all I could think about was memories of being with Sam. I guess I was a bit angry with Clara for bringing him up, but it wasn't her fault. She didn't know what I had gone through.