Chapter Fourteen

12.26.17
edit: 8.19.20
458 words

geoff p.o.v.

i went over to awsten and shook his shoulder. "aws, wake up..." when he didn't budge, i tried harder.

otto came up to us with a glass of water. "try this. hopefully it works."

we do, and he immediately woke up, sputtering. i tried to wrap him in a hug, but he just screamed and pushed me away. he took the blanket with him and wrapped it around himself, covering his body.

he started crying hard and leaned forward to press his head to the floor. "awsten, what happened?" otto asked. awsten just shook his head.

"we're gonna spend christmas break over at otto's now." i told him. "it's okay, awsten..."

awsten just shook his head. he didn't maneuver to sign or anything. he just laid there, letting the bedsheets soak up his tears.

"is your suitcase in the attic?" otto asked, to which awsten nodded. otto got up and left the room.

"awsten, what clothes do you want me to pack for you?" i asked him as i stood up. he looked up and signed, eight jumpers and four pairs of jeans.

i nodded and went to his closet. it was fairly easy to pick out what he wanted because all his jumpers were in one section and organised by colour.

i heard a thump come from the main bedroom i poked my head out to see that awsten had tried to stand but fell over, most likely tripping on his blanket.

"awsten, hon, you sure you're okay?" i asked, going over to him. he shrugged and tried to push himself up again. "awsten, hon, lemme help you-"

he slapped my hand away. i drew my hand back, surprised that the small boy would snap like that. obviously he was too because his eyes widened and tears started falling.

"awsten, no, it's okay, i know you-" suddenly, i felt as if i were hit by a bus. "awsten, what happens when it's just you and your dad?"

he shook his head and pointed to his closet. "i've already got everything." i said, holding up the jumpers.

he bit his lip and pointed to his bed. he limped - a red flag went up in my mind - to his dresser and opened the second drawer from the top. he pulled out a long-sleeved shirt and jock shorts. he opened the top drawer and pulled out underwear. i averted my gaze.

i heard a door shut, and when i looked up, his closet door was closed. i suspected that he went in there to change. because of that, i had nothing to do or no one to talk to until he or otto came back. i decided on going to the bathroom since i had to go relieve myself anyway.