The Old Radio

It was Friday night and I was up in my attic rummaging through some old things. The house that we lived in was old and used to be my grandparent's home. As I rummaged through old boxes, sifting through the dust, I came across a peculiar thing. An old radio covered in cobwebs lay flat on the top of one of the boxes. I could see its pristine oak colour until the thick coat of dust. It had an intricate pattern and steel buttons at the front that looked polished as if they were frequently jostled left and right.

I quickly dusted off the radio and shook my hand up and down to get off the cobwebs before a spider crawled up my arm. This was a gem find in my books. Although it did not seem so valuable in a practical sense, this old thing was going to look great on my shelf.

I quickly grabbed the radio and pressed the box back into shape, then sped down the ladder as the dust trailed behind me like a sandstorm. I entered my room and shut the door. Safely nestled, I set the radio down on my table. I expected a USB plug, but then remembered what I was dealing with here. I reached around the back of the radio and found a power cord. Now was the time to see if this old relic worked.

I swiftly plugged the radio in to the power outlet and cringed as I played roulette with electric shock. Much to my contentment, I did not get electrocuted and the buttons on the radio lit up. I quickly dusted off the radio and coughed wildly as the age old dust filled my lounges. Now was the big moment, so I pressed what I thought was the power button, and then the room filled with the sounds of static.

It seemed like I was on to something here, so I turned the volume knob slowly, but still, nothing happened. Frustrated, I slapped the radio and yelled out loud as my hand throbbed with pain. I had had enough of this, so I put the radio aside and decided to go to sleep. I jumped in my bed, closed my eyes and passed out cold.

"Do you hear me... do you hear me?"

"To all who are listening, a message lies near"

What? I jolted up from what I thought was my dream, to hear the loud static of the radio. I had forgotten to turn it off and it seemed like it was picking up some sort of weak signal again. I walked over to it and still heard static, so I went to unplug it, so that I could get back to sleep. As I reached for the cord, I heard a faint voice:

"To all that hear this, we call you to come near. We are the end and enrichment shall come here."

I threw my hand away and jolted backwards. I stuck my ear next to the radio and listened intently.

"From the dark, comes a new, at the end of the road, peace comes and it is for you. 444 Chewseh Road is where we reside. We are calling to you."

Suddenly, the voice stopped and the radio went back to static. The message seemed weird and the voice was eerie, so I assumed that I was picking up some sort of prank. I pulled the cord out of the way to make sure that I would not be awoken again and went back to bed.

"Do not forgoe our messages."

I jolted out of bed again as what I thought was again a dream, was the radio making noise again. 

"There is only one chance and then peace will be unattainable. I draw you here to see. 444 Chewseh Road, please come soon." I had just pulled the plug on the radio and it was still making noise. It must have been battery powered, but this was getting frustrating.

I was at the point where I could not sleep now and had this burning curiosity to figure out what this place was or if it was some sort of prank. Call me crazy for wanting to go out in the middle of the night, but I am a pretty sturdy guy and I used to walk home from my night shift every night, so fear of the dark was not really something that bothered me.