1|

"Follow the light with your eyes." Melissa McCall said, waving a small medical pen light in front of a patient's face.

It was an old man in his sixties.

"I'm fine." He replied, fidgeting in his hospital bed. "When will I be able to leave ? Tonight ?"

Melissa turned off the light.

"You just had a car accident." She said. "It's best to keep you here for a few days."

"I don't want to die in a hospital." The old man retorted.

He coughed.

"Don't leave me alone, please." He said. "I don't want them to come back."

"Who ?"

"I hate insects."

"Well, there's no insects here." Melissa replied. "We may have had a little bug problem a few weeks ago, but we took care of it, just like I'm going to take care of you."

Suddenly, the doors of the hospital opened. In the hallway, a stretcher appeared, pushed by two nurses. A girl with long red hair was lying on it. Her condition seemed critical.

"Actually, I won't be able to take care of you now." Melissa said as she was leaving the room. "I promise you won't be alone. My assistant will take care of you."

The old man raised an eyebrow.

"Your assistant ?"

Melissa opened the door. She came face to face with Malia, wearing a purple nurse uniform.

"Is he dead ?" She asked.

"What are you doing here ?" Melissa asked, surprised. "I told you to stay in my office."

"I was bored."

"You could have used the computer."

"I don't understand computers." Malia replied. "The letters are not in the good order and every time I look at the mouse computer, it makes me think of a real mouse and it makes me hungry."

Melissa frowned.

"Can I help you today ?" Malia insisted.

"Yes. We received this patient a few hours ago. He hit a car on the highway. He's not injured, but he needs attention. Make sure he's okay."

Malia nodded.

"Alright, I think I can do that."

Melissa left. Malia entered the room.

"Are you the assistant ?" The old man asked, intrigued.

"Yes." She answered, grabbing the pen light on a bedside table.

She approached him.

"Can you see the light ?" She asked, blinding the old man.

He winced. Malia turned off the light.

"I'm going to give you an injection." She said. "You need a blood test."

She took a syringe on the table and pushed it into the old man's arm who widened his eyes in shock.

"It's going to hurt a little bit." She added.

"I wish you had told me that before you dig that needle in my skin." He moaned.

Malia put a plaster on the hollow of his elbow.

"Now, rest." She said.

"That's all ?" He asked. "You're not going to measure my blood pressure ?"