39. A warning and a book

Pragati 's POV

' So let me summarise everything. You played with the feelings of a woman even though you know perfectly well how much it hurts. You acted to love her for about almost a year in front of everyone including her family. Two months back you finally married her as per your plan and made a joke of the sacred bond of marriage. You dropped the bombshell on your legally wedded wife on your wedding night to record a confession in order to blackmail her. Then you practically put her on a house arrest, imprisoning her in this house. For a month. You burnt down her dreams in front of her which she had worked so hard for. Then you completely ignored her for the next month as if she doesn't exist. Have I missed something? ' Karthik said with a fury in his eyes that was directed at Ranveer.

Ranveer was standing against the wall with his arms folded. He hadn't meet either of our gaze since he's back from the police station.

Karthik was pacing to and fro in the guest room and muttering under his breath. He's trying hard to control his rage.

If there was someone else in Ranveer 's place then he would probably in a hospital by now. Either because of me or Karthik. Ranveer better be grateful for this.

Thank God, Mum and Dad haven't come. They would hate to see the brothers like this.

Well actually cousins. Ranveer 's mother is Karthik 's paternal aunt. But they're as close as brothers.

' Oh yes. How could I forgot? You have declared your alive and healthy parents as dead.' Karthik said with disgust and Ranveer 's frown deepened. It's true that Aunty and Uncle hadn't been the best parents to him but this went over the top.

' And who am I? Just a friend only. And here I thought I was your brother. Sorry my fault. ' Karthik left the room. Ranveer sighed.

' Go on. Say whatever you want.' he said in an emotionless voice.

' Ranveer, no one asked for your permission. When Priyanka told me everything, I wanted to strangle you but not now. ' I said firmly.

' Why? '

' You didn't ask me why I agreed to not tell her anything about you or your lies. '

Earlier he had called me while I and Priyanka were talking. I really wanted to reveal his secrets but I didn't. As tempting as it was, it wasn't my secret to tell.

' I was curious but it wasn't the right time to ask. '

' Nor is it now. Tell me what's the worst that you think you had done to her? '

His eyes narrowed in confusion.

' Burning her designs. ' he said again in that emotionless voice.

' I hate you for that. ' And among many other things. ' But no it isn't.'

He showed no emotion. How could I forget that hiding his emotions is his speciality?

' Broken dreams hurt a lot but nothing hurts more than a broken heart. ' I spoke after a pause. ' I know you don't believe in love after whatever happened between your parents. But that doesn't give you any right to play with her feelings. Especially since you loves you so much. '

' First thing, leave my parents out of this. Second, I don't care about her feelings. What do you exactly expect me to do? Forget whatever she did? Love a woman who almost killed my sister? '

There was a slight anger in his voice. I shouldn't have mentioned his parents but I am past the caring point.

' Please don't give yourself so much credit. If I had my way then you would have never seen her again. But I don't understand one thing. Why did you tell her about Aaradhya when you didn't have to? '