Chapter One: Tryouts and Popularities.

Soccer tryouts were going great for everyone. I mean, you can't fail if the coach doesn't even show up right? All we've been doing is passing the ball around in a big circle while swooning over the boys a couple fields away.

It's the second day of a ten-day try out and we have absolutely no idea who the coach is. Although, from the looks of it, the boy's team hadn't met their coach either.

"This is freaking ridiculous!" My best friend, Emma, sighs.

Emily "Emma" Rivera has been my best friend since I moved to North Carolina. I moved during the summer between seventh and eighth grade. We've been friends long before that summer. My family always visited my Aunt Crysta and my Uncle Jack and their son Logan, of course. Fortunately, I met Emma in a public pool and since I moved I became her best friend, while she became mine.

"Agreed. This is so boring!" I groan, kicking the ball back to her. "I hate it!"

"Stop complaining. This is fun, easy, and nothing to bitch about." The owner of the unwanted voice flips her hair to the side. "So be quiet and pass me the ball."

Oh, great! Hailee White butting into an A and B conversation. A conversation that does not require a C to speak or even be present. I absolutely cannot stand her. Ever since I moved here she always hated me, but I never knew the exact reason why.

"Easy, but definitely not fun." Blaire picks up her ball and tucks it under her arm. "See you guys tomorrow."

I'm thankful for Blaire speaking up before I did.

Hailee is pretty much the social queen at our school. My life would be ruined at one wrong spoken word.

As if I would actually say something. I never stand up for myself.

Blaire is a such a nice person and an amazing player. She's been on the same team as Emma since the good ol' diaper days. Sadly, since I lived in Florida, I played on a different team called "Team Crush". To be completely honest, we were horrible. I'm glad I moved away.

"Good idea," I add. "Maybe the coach will actually show up tomorrow."

Emma and I break away from the circle, followed by Blaire and a few others. Everyone else finally starts to leave once they realize that we are done screwing around for the day.

Emma nudges me. "I'll meet you at your house at six o'clock-ish."

"Sounds good."

Mrs. Rivera honks three times and waves as we walk up.

"Sorry that I can't give you a ride today, Soph." She struggles to lift her bag over her shoulder.

"No, it's fine!" I shrug it off. "I don't mind walking."

She smiles at my understanding and looks up at the team. "Bye guys!"

I find my sweats in my bag and slip them over my shorts. After a long struggle, I figure out how to cross both my bags over my shoulders without tipping at the weight.

With a short huff of annoyance. I look around at everyone loitering casually. I don't really talk to any of these girls so I just start walking.

I usually either walked home every day or got a ride from a friend. My mom tells me that we can't afford the payment on another car, but I know she's spewing lies. I've looked at insurance on used cars and I'd only have to pay about a hundred each month.

I try not to complain too much, but when my mom comes home with a new pair of Gucci sunglasses or another purse, it's hard not to.

My mom and I haven't gotten along very well since we moved from Florida. My dad is always working or fishing, so I hardly see him.