Chapter Two: Technical Difficulties

I scramble through my bag to look for my key chain. When I look up in frustration, I see it through the window. My key chain is inside the house on the key holder, instead of in my bag. What the hell Sophie? You're such an idiot.

Shit.

I can't tell if my mom's car is in the garage but I ring the doorbell anyway. After about a minute or so, I hear footsteps. Oh, thank God.

Angry footsteps, fuck my life.

My mom swings the door open and stares at me with disbelief. "How many times have I told you not to interrupt my art sessions? You know how deep in thought I can get," She pauses looking for more words to say. "and now you made me lose my thoughts!"

"I'm sorry mom, I forgot my keys on the hook, I won't forget them tomorrow." I drop my soccer bag by the door. "Why was the door even locked anyway?"

Curiosity is going to kill me.

"It's just a habit," she sighs, almost annoyed with me. "I'm usually the last one home."

That's a lie. My dad is usually the last one home. It doesn't matter if he is coming back from fishing or work, he is always the last one home.

"Oh, okay." I play along. I just didn't want to argue right now. I don't want my day to get any worse.

She leaves me at the door, and I finally walk in and put my school bag on the kitchen table.

"I'm sorry for yelling at you, I'm just stressed." She yells from the back room, her painting room.

Yeah, I guess you're stressed every day then. Why even apologize? It'll happen again tomorrow.

"That's okay," I lie.

I'm always short with her, I sometimes hate talking to her. She has changed so much since we moved. That's one of the only downsides about my family moving. That and the fact that we live closer to my evil cousin Audrey.

Audrey is Logan's step-sister. My Aunt Crysta's ex-boyfriend was a total asshole and got her pregnant. As soon as he found out, he left. Nine months later, out popped Audrey. Then when Audrey was around two or three, My Aunt was married to Jack. By the time Audrey was four, Logan was born. My dad, Logan, Jack and I are not fond of Audrey because she always gets what she wants. She is one of those people that when she was ten, she would boss Logan and I around like we were her slaves. And she would always get us into trouble, even if it was all her fault. I'm starting to get the feeling that Audrey is starting to annoy Crysta too. She just has that look when Audrey talks.

Mentally shaking those thoughts out of my head, I got out my sketch book and got comfortable at the kitchen table.

As soon as I sat down, my mom told me to clean up the kitchen and take my stuff to my room. We are having company over, even though that company is my best friend, who doesn't care what our house looks like. Only if we're stocked up on food.

I look at the kitchen, there are no dishes, no food left out. There is nothing to pick up. So I gather my bags, stomp upstairs, and lock myself in my room, as usual.

I got the memo.

After an excruciating long forty-six minutes of practice and walking, I finally relax against my bed and check my phone.

Shocker. There's not one message, notification, or even a missed call from an unknown number.

Joy. I'm lame inside and outside of school.

Am I the only one that stalks their crush on Facebook pretty much every time I check my own?

I hope not. Because I do stalk my crush every time I get on Facebook.

Seen it, seen it, seen it, ooh a new status from Jake!

"Jacob Savage 14 minutes ago" 'Congrats all sophomores for making it through their first week of school, can't wait for the beginning of the year party!' - with Peter Abernathy and 53 others"

Unfortunately, I wasn't tagged in the message. Even though he's best friends with my cousin, and that we sometimes talk, I never added him. He never added me.

Little did I know, that wasn't going to last very long.

I click on his profile picture and my laptop kinda spazzes out and--I hit the friend request button!

Not even ten seconds later, Jacob Savage just accepted my friend request! Oh my God!

I need Emma. Now.

She knows how to deal with...boys. Unless it's her crush: Andrew "Drew" Clark. He goes to a different school than Emma and I.

But that doesn't matter right now! What matters is that I need my best friend to help me stop hyperventilating.

I dial Emma on my phone to call her, ending the call after the second ring.

Right. She's busy.

Hopefully, I can wait an aggravating twenty-five minutes for Emma to get here.

I lay in my bed, staring at the ceiling fan twirl round and round and round and-- ding-dong!

I shoot up from my bed, scaring my cat: Fiona and she jumps from the window sill.

I immediately scream out: "Emma!"

After struggling to open the door, I swing it open and sprint downstairs; tripping along the way, and reach the door just before my mom. We bump into each other as I reach for the door knob.

"Sophia Nicole!" She yells, "slow down!"

I jump from one foot to the other, impatiently. "Open the door, mom."

My mom opens the door and reveals the Riveras. Emma and her mom.

"Emma!" I yell again, grabbing her arm. My mom gives me the 'calm down' look. And I drag her up the stairs. "Oh my gosh, you're here early. Did you get everything figured out? Never mind that! I have something to tell you, err show you! Yeah, I'll go ahead and show you."

"Sophie! Calm down!" She grabs my shoulders and shakes me. "Now what is it?"

I already set everything up on my phone and just throw it at Emma. Her eyes light up when she sees the screen. "Sophie, oh my gosh! Did he ask you, or..."

"No I sent it on accident, but I don't know what to do!" I give her a sad face.

"Sit down. Now, it's not a big deal. It's not like he messaged you or anything. Just pretend like it never happened. Just be his Facebook friend."

She's right. I made a huge deal over nothing.

"I'm a total psychopath, aren't I?" I stutter.

"No no no no, sweetie, you're fine. You just never experienced that before." She sympathizes.

"Okay." I let out a loud breath.

"Now since I am here early, we have time to go shopping before we go to Peters." She adds.

My eyes light up. "Oh yay, I love shopping!"

"And I've seen your closet, you need new clothes for this party." She rudely adds to her no longer sympathetic crap.

My jaw drops. "Rude!"

"I'm just kidding!" She laughs. "Come on let's go!"

I stand up and open my bedroom door. "Let's do this."

~*~

To be continued...