Chapter 27

~Devin P.O.V.~

“They’re gone? What do you mean they’re gone? What the hell does that even mean? They were just here!” James screamed at the top of his lungs. My jaw had dropped and I hadn’t even begun to comprehend what had just been told to me. My twin sister, whom I basically just started seeing as my sister, was kidnapped for what, like the fifth time in her life?

‘Second time, Sweetie.’ Aunt Angel told me in my head.

‘Still. That’s two more times then she should’ve!’ I hissed back. She nodded sadly. I looked around the room at all of the grave faces: Monique was bawling, probably only worrying about Lucas, Jeanie just stared at her stomach, James was arguing with everybody, the sound wasn’t even picked up by my ears I was so shocked, and as for me, well, I’m starting to feel a little…

“Devin!” Someone shrieked as my world turned black.

~Emma P.O.V.~

“Emma, Lucas,” Alec D’Angelo said as Lucas and I were thrown into chairs with bounded hands in front of him. “Welcome.” He smiled a disgusting, sadistic, wicked smile at us. Lucas spat in his face and was rewarded by a punch in the gut. I watched him spit out some blood and keeled over in his seat. Ari caught him but the hair and yanked him back upright.

“Touch him again and I swear I’ll-” I growled as claws dug into my shoulders restraining me from pouncing.

“You’ll what, Emma?” Ari hissed and grabbed my hair, pulling me back so his face was right beside mine. “Thought so.” He laughed when I just glared at him.

“I suggest you don’t do that again.” D’Angelo chuckled, smiling at Lucas.

“Why are we here?” Lucas grunted.

“Impatient, aren’t we?” D’Angelo said. Lucas and I glared up at him. “Unfortunately, you had something that belonged to us.” He smiled at me. “You were just a perk.” He chuckled as he looked back to Lucas.

“Emma does not belong to you.” Lucas hissed.

“But technically, she does.” Ari chuckled darkly. “You see, and this is dumbed for you children, my father was head of a avian-human science project where he created your mother, and your father, and your aunts, and your uncles.” He explained as he paced around in front of us. “We made them; they made you, so technically, we made you, and in extension, own you.” He looked at me.

“That’s no different then you saying you own Jeanie or Leo, which you don’t, so in that extension, you don’t own me.” I growled.

“Don’t talk back to us, brat!” Ari kneed me in the gut. I collapsed against his knee, coughing roughly. Hr grabbed me by the neck and pulled my face closer to his. “We don’t want a repeat of your smartass of a mother.” He growled.

“Is that where I get it?” I coughed. He growled loudly and his arm snapped forward. I didn’t even brace for impact.

“Ari, we need her alive.” D’Angelo caught his arm. Ari growled again and then backed off. “Now, we have a phone call to make. Ari, you have Emma’s phone, right?” He looked at Ari. Ari reached into his pocket and handed him my blue-cased iPhone. D’Angelo dialed a number and then held the phone to my head. “Talk.”

“Emma?”

“Mom?”

~Max P.O.V.~

“He’ll be fine, Max. Devin fainted because he had an anxiety attack. He’ll come around soon.” Cate explained as Fang, her, and I stood around my unconscious son in their guest room.