Chapter XI

The festival is here. Yuri paces back and forth. She's nervous to go through with her plan. What will Natsuki think? What will the crowd think? What will the club think? She has no idea. But this time, she doesn't care. This isn't about them. This is about her and Natsuki.

"Hey, Yuri!" Natsuki says, coming up from behing her.

"Y-Yes?" Yuri says, preparing herself.

"Do you want to go first? You were excellent earlier!" Sayori says. She's clearly well-intentioned, but she's really just interfering with Yuri's plan.

"N-No!" Yuri says. "I want to go last... It'll make it more dramatic, you know..."

"Ah, of course." Sayori smiles and goes away, likely to tell Monika about the schedule change. Yuri is getting ready for her turn. Before she knows it, Monika is on the stage.

"Hello, everyone! Welcome to the School Club Festival! First, the Literature Club will be reading their very own poems aloud! As the Club President, I, Monika, will be reading mine first! This one is called 'Hole in the Wall.' Enjoy!"

As Monika reads her poem to the crowd, Yuri pulls her poem out of her backpack. It's not the Raccoon, instead it is something completely different. She reads it to herself in her head. And again. And again. Once more. She has it perfected in her mind, and she hopes it will sound to others the same way it sounds to her.

Monika has finished her poem. Sayori gets on stage. The poem she's reading is called "Bottles." Hearing her read the poem gives Yuri confidence. Why? She doesn't know. Maybe it's just hearing someone else read a poem to a crowd that helps her ready herself. Maybe it's Sayori's endless optimism. She doesn't know, but now Sayori is finished reading. Natsuki is on the stage, reading her poem "I'll be your Beach." This one sooths Yuri. It's nice to hear the words coming from Natsuki's mouth. It passes swiftly. Now, Yuri reads her poem one last time to herself. She's confident and ready to present. As Natsuki gets on stage, Yuri gets up there and gets behind the microphone.

-----------------------------------

Natsuki is excited to see how the audience will react to Yuri's poem. It really is excellent, she thinks. But then she gets up on the stage.

"Hello. My name is Yuri. This is my poem, 'Just Thoughts'.

Natsuki is confused. Isn't she reading "The Raccoon?" She doesn't quite understand, but she decides to just go with it. Sayori whispers in Natsuki's ear. "Hey, isn't she reading 'the Raccoon?'" she asks. "I thought so too, but apparently not." she responds.

"It feels as if it's been too long

that these feelings have been just thoughts.

I see only you in the moonlit room

You're there for me, I'm there for you

I know that it may seem taboo

But no longer can these remain thoughts.

I think, I think, I think, I think

I know, I need these thoughts begone

And the only way to have them begone

Is to assure that they're not wrong."

[Author's Note: Sorry for the bad poetry, I'm no poet. Ignore how unrealistic it would be for anyone to clap to it.]

Yuri breathed heavily. This was the scariest part of the whole plan.

"Would... Natsuki, please come up onto the stage..."

Natsuki was surprised, to say the least. She didn't refuse, though. She got up on the stage when she usually would have frozen. She got up next to Yuri, almost knowing why she was called up. The crowd, however, was confused. They expected no more than poetry. What is this.

"On this day... in public... over this microphone... I declare my love for this woman, Natsuki!"

Natsuki didn't have time to freeze before Yuri had pulled her into a passionate kiss. She didn't resist; in fact, she kissed back. The crowd clapped and went "awwww" as the rest of the literature club reacted. Monika was shocked and confused, but happy nonetheless. Sayori jumped up and down in excitement for them. All Morp would say was "Huh. Cool." When Natsuki and Yuri were done with the kiss, they got off the stage and let the festival continued.