[01.01] in which cassandra ends a lifelong yet toxic friendship

"I don't get what you mean

"I don't get what you mean." Cassandra heard her friend say defensively through the phone.

Cassandra paced around the house, "I'm over it. I am over you. All you ever do is talk shit about other people and tear people down to make you feel better about yourself. When I really need you, you ignore me, but God forbid I'm ever busy. You are a hypocrite and a narcissist and I am fucking over it. You expect to come everywhere with me and get butthurt if I ever hang out with other people. Childish, don't you think? Get over yourself because if you keep acting like this, you're gonna lose more friends than just me." With that, Cassandra hung up the phone and deleted her now ex-best friend's number.

Cassandra tossed her phone in frustration, but felt a bit of relief now that she had cut tied with someone that only brought negativity in her life. Sure, she felt bad, but when she told herself 'new year, new me', she truly meant it. It was the year that Cassandra was finally going to look out for herself and for once in her life, put her mental health and happiness above others'.

No matter how many times Cassandra told herself that she should've never done that, she knew it was time for change. She wanted to stay away from all of the negativity in an attempt to change her lifestyle once and for all. Her and her friend were so close, almost like sisters, so she felt heartbroken and couldn't help, but cry.

She sat on her couch, dropped her head into her hands and began sobbing. Slowly, the tears stopped and she finally stood up from her seat then grabbed her phone from the other side of the couch. Her phone didn't have many notifications, which wasn't surprising.

Cassandra grabbed a coat and threw it over her PJ's, then took her keys off of the hook it was hanging from. She took her credit card out of her purse then walked to the supermarket that was right down the corner of her home.

Once she walked in, the cold DC air was replaced by the warmth of the market. She got a cart to for her food and took of her jacket, neatly putting it on the child seat section of her cart. Cassandra received a few weird looks from others for looking like a mess with disheveled hair, red eyes, and her choice of an outfit.

She ignored the gazes then walked right to the ice cream section, filling up her cart with as much rocky road as she could.