Jihad triangle

Lines are one dimensional but if you put several lines together in the right way, a second dimension emerges, something more complex than any of the individual lines. Human beings are complex creatures who make decisions based on a variety of factors-genetics, upbringing, feelings, beliefs, desires and so on. Much of what we do can't be explained in terms of one specific factor so one dimensional explanation about behavior are often misguided. Take jihad, what causes jihad? Poverty? If it were do we see jihad among poor people? Is Islam the cause? If it were won't everyone who believes in Islam be a jihadist. One dimension explanation won't help us understand jihad because it isn't the result of one factor, it's the result of three. If you are missing on any of the three factors a new dimension doesn't emerge. But when all three come together they form a will called the jihad triangle.

First factor, belief in Islam. So to become a jihadist you have to first believe that there is no God but Allah and Mohammed is his messenger. And you have access to the commands of Allah and Mohammed. Islam is foundational because if you don't believe in Allah you aren't going to wage jihad for him. You might fight for other things but it won't be jihad.

Second factor, knowledge of what Islam commands. You can belief in Islam without knowing that Allah commands Muslims to fight those who don't believe in Allah (Surah 9:29) or Mohammed declared I have been ordered to fight people until they declare there is no god but Allah (Sahih al-Bukhaari 6924). When I quote these passages to westernized Muslims they generally have no clue of what I am talking about, even though I am quoting Allah or Mohammed. But the jihadist is familiar with these kind of passages so jihadist aren't merely Muslims, they are Muslims who know that they have been commanded to violently subjugate unbelievers.

Third factor is obedience. The world is filled with people who choose the path of least resistance, people who do whatever makes them feel most comfortable. But some people are wired differently they are willing to do whatever they believe is right regardless of the consequences. You can kill them they won't back down. This character trait combined with certain noble values gives rise to heros-men and women who will lay down their live to help others. But when it is combined with belief in Islam and knowledge of Allah's command, it results in obedience and willingness to fight unbelievers and hypocrites and be unyielding to them (Surah 9:73). So belief in Islam by itself doesn't produce jihad. Knowledge of what Islam teaches by itself doesn't produce jihad. Obedience by itself doesn't produce jihad. Any two of these factors combined without a third won't produce jihad. You can believe in Islam and be thoroughly willing to obey Allah as long as you don't know that Allah commands you to wage jihad you won't wage jihad. You can believe in Islam and know that Allah commands you to wage jihad as long as your obeying Allah isn't a priority, you won't wage jihad. You can know what Allah commands and be the sort of person who is willing to lay down his life for what he beliefs as long as you don't belief in Islam, you won't wage jihad. Once we understand that the triangle requires all three sides then we can start to answer some of the more common questions about Islam and violence. for instance you hear the question "if Islam is violent why are there so many peaceful Muslims. Well most Muslims in the west have only one of the three sides. They have belief in Islam and they don't know what Islam teaches and even if you tell them what Islam teaches they are not willing to obey if it is something they don't like. Others might pack their bags and go to turkey when they are convinced with verses like; "It is not fitting for a Believer, man or woman, when a matter has been decided by Allah and His Messenger, to have any option about their decision: if anyone disobeys Allah and His Messenger he is indeed on a clearly wrong Path." Surah 33:36 "Not equal are those of the believers who sit (at home), except those who are disabled (by injury or are blind or lame), and those who strive hard and fight in the Cause of Allâh with their wealth and their lives. Allâh has preferred in grades those who strive hard and fight with their wealth and their lives above those who sit (at home). Unto each, Allâh has promised good (Paradise), but Allâh has preferred those who strive hard and fight, above those who sit (at home) by a huge reward;" Surah 4:95 "Truly Allah loves those who fight in His Cause in battle array, as if they were a solid cemented structure." Surah 61:4.
By Dr. David Wood.

Available On Amazon