Chapter 4

All the forest Rumens had gathered at the royal palace and tried all they could to get back Jack into consciousness.
But, Jack died despite all their efforts.
His funeral was done at the graveyard of the fortune tellers, and he now rested in peace.

Nathan returned from the funeral, guilty and sad, face hung down at the shoulder level, lazily walking, taking small small steps.

His walnut coloured curly hair that reached his shoulders was disheveled unlike his routine, his thick eyebrows furrowed as if he was deep in thought.
He had worn a grey floor length robe with boots and matching jewels. He was indeed a marvel to watch at.
As he put himself on the path that leads to his chamber, he heard some murmers.
He was used to it and usually didn't pay any attention to it.
But today, he wanted to eavesdrop on what the maids kept gossiping about.
He stepped closer to the voices which were coming from a room located horizontally diagonal to his position.
One of the maids sat in the middle surrounded by others forming a group around her.
Nathan wondered what was going on.
The maid kept murmuring something and occasionally gestured with her hands trying to explain something by her actions, which Nathan couldn't make out. And each time she did it, other maids would squeal in excitement or frown and look down. All of them were dressed in pure white clothes which meant they were still on duty.
He leaned closer to makeout what they were gossiping about.

".....you know. I always told them this would have happened. This was predictable."

All others were nodding their head side to side as if not agreeing to what she said.

Nevertheless, she still continued, " I've warned the Queen several times but she always  shrugs it off as if all this doesn't really matter to her. She is in danger, and she knows it. But..", she stopped and stood abruptly.

Nathan barged inside and stood right opposite to the woman staring blankly in her eyes. The others were still unaware of his presence.
"Oh, your highness! What brings you here? How can we serve you?" She bowed her head and awaited an order.
Nathan watched her closely.
She had worn an on-duty dress with navy blue layers on the front and the ends of the sleeves. Her dirty blonde hair tied into a neat bun, she seemed to be professional. Which meant, she was up to date about all the happenings inside the castle.
A thought immediately struck him.
He made an above turn, and headed for the exit door.
And without turning back, he addressed the woman,
"Meet me in five minutes in my study."
The maid felt a shiver run down her spine, as she wiped layers of sweat from her forehead.
How much of this talk did he actually hear? If only she knew this..
While she stood tensed wondering why was she called for, others stood watching her in awe. Oh how they wished they would have been the maid his Highness had himself picked to serve him. They all were slightly jealous of her, unaware of the tension that had creeped her soul instantly.
The only thought that circulated her mind was,

"Now who can save me?"