Chapter 8

Nathan braced himself to take in some facts he might be forced to drink.
"What were you talking about with the other maids?", He asked in a low voice, barely audible.

The maid went stiff, the colour from her face drained as she turned pale.
She kept silent, afraid to speak.

A few seconds passed by.
Nathan continued staring at her awaiting a response.
"What was it? Speak up.", Nathan raised his voice.
He was getting more and more anxious as the seconds passed by. After all it was a matter of his family and kingdom.

The maid visibly shivered at the sudden raise of his sound.

She could feel his eyes deeply on her, and for some reason, she knew. She knew she couldn't make out of here safely. She regretted her decision of coming here altogether, but how could she escape an order?

She just had to find a way to get out of here safe and unhurt, and if she did so, she would never see the king again. She kept brainstorming on whether she should shout for help, or run for life, or just put up a fight with him. Or maybe beg him to spare his life maybe?
She was startled when she felt something really cold and sharp touch her neck. She lowered her eyes to see what it was and had to hold her breath.
The dagger.
The king's royal dagger had half adorned her neck now.
It was a beautiful dagger, adorned with jewels at its hilt. The blade was sleek and sharp.

She tried to step back but immediately regretted as the blade slightly cut her skin.

"What do you want?", She asked with a trembling voice.
"Details.", He replied.

"I'll tell you everything I know. Please don't kill me", she dropped on her knees and folded her hands.

"Speak", he said.

"While I was cleaning, I had heard the fortune teller mutter something under his breath. The one who died recently?", She paused.
Nathan hummed, gesturing her to continue.
She took a deep breath and continued,
"He was in a terrible state, his eyes almost out of his sockets, and drained of water. His lips were pale and dried. He kept saying what sounded like murder.. queen.. him.. kill.. empire.. betrayal punishment.. etc.
He also said something about the death or murder of her highness and your children by someone who is close to you. He said some name, but I couldn't figure out who he was pointing to."
She paused to breathe and looked up to meet his eyes.
But his eyes gave nothing.
She sighed and continued.
"The kingdom is doomed, your Majesty. Soon, this empire will be in ruins and.."
Slit.
Her throat was slit.

The kingdom is doomed. The kingdom is doomed. The kingdom is doomed.
He was enraged. His eyes had gone red.
He could feel electric bolts travel through his insides sending burning sensations all over his skin.
His anger was pumping inside him.
And he could only think of one person who could control his emotions.

But where was she?

Authors note:
Please vote if you liked the chapter. And keep commenting your thoughts on how the story is progressing.