[forty-four]

.

.

.

.

.

.

[forty-four]

[bridgit]

[three weeks later]

"And American Business Law finals are completed!" I exclaimed, clapping my hands in delight. Eleanor turned to Quinn, Rachel, and me and exclaimed, "It was a piece of cake and my love, I am GRADUATING!"

I heard a couple of the other students cheer with me and I grinned to myself. I was sleep-deprived and running on black coffee and banana nut muffins alone. I haven't talked to my boyfriend for nearly a month and I think I've forgotten how to be social.

"We've really missed you," Austin said, coming up behind me and ruffling my hair. "But now, you're running with the big guys. Coachella and The Fault In Our Stars?"

I would've given a reply, but I was extremely exhausted. "I'm going back to my dorm to...uhm...do that thing where you close your eyes..."

Rachel laughed. "You mean sleeping?"

I nodded slowly. "Yeah...that. I'm going to...uh...do that until noon tomorrow. Don't wake me."

[two days later]

[new york city, usa]

"I wonder what the boys are up to," I told Eleanor, dark pairs of shades shielding our eyes as we walk through the JFK. We pulled our suitcases behind us and tried not to draw attention to ourselves. But, of course, El insisted she wanted to show off her model legs in a short dress, and everyone with a penis in the lobby was staring.

"There's actually been a rumor going around that they're splitting up." El snorted. "As if."

I laughed and we hooked arms as we moved through the doors presenting Jamaica, New York.

Just then, my phone rang and I stepped to the side as El hailed a cab.

"Hello?" I answered, holding it to my ear.

"Bridgit, has your flight landed yet?"

Ashley. She sounded...upset. But not at me. "Well, I can't talk on the phone on the plane," I reminded her.

"Yeah, whatever," she snapped. "How far are you from the Columbia Records in Manhattan?"

I checked my watch. "An hour at the most," I replied. "Why?"

"Patricia and I need you down here. Right away. Conference room 4B."

She hung up and I stood there dumbly, not understanding her snark attitude.

"Bridgit!" Eleanor snapped me out of it and I turned back to her. She was half in one of the new green Boro Taxis.

"Oh, right," I said, hurrying toward the cab. I put my suitcase next to hers in the trunk and got in the back of the car.

"Columbia Records in Manhattan," I told the driver. "Uhm...500 West 30th."

He nodded and turned on the taxi fare meter as we drove off.

"Why aren't we going to a hotel?" El asked. "I'm tired and have horrid jet lag."

I looked at her apologetically. "Sorry, love. Ashley needed me to come to Columbia straight away. I can drop you off at the Plaza if you want."