36- 14 Lil' Monkeys Jumping On the Bed

I felt so stupid.

Standing around in a periwinkle blue pajama set while having God knows what kind of make up was clogging my pores made my anxiety spring up. Sure, starring in a commercial would have been great for us, but I felt like the physical symbol of an oxymoron: introvert basket-case starring in a local TV commercial... for mattresses.

This is probably a pedophile's dream come true.

"You guys," Rachel piped us as everybody buzzed around to get ready, "I want us to always remember this moment. Soon there may be agents and managers and movie deals. But right now I want us to remember what it feels like to be here together as a team," ah, there was nothing like good old-fashioned pep talk from a midget.

"Whatever," Mercedes replied, "As soon as I get my record deal, I'm not speaking to any of you,"

I couldn't help but frown at that, "Cheery," I said.

A large, tubby man then came forward, most likely the director for this whole picture, "Okay, guys, we're very excited to have you here," he said, "We here at Mattress Land believe that mattresses aren't just for sleeping and fornicating anymore," oh, really? What else are they good for? As an orphanage for cockroaches? "We believe that buying an affordable mattress should be fun," yes, because nothing screams 'fun' like going to buy a mattress.

How evolved our culture has become ...

---

"Quiet on set!" you remember the nursery rhyme your parents used to tell you before you went to sleep? The one with monkeys? Well, I went ahead and created my own version in the short time we were setting up. It goes a little something like this.

Fourteen little monkeys jumping on the bed
One jumped off and lost his head
The teacher called the doctor
And the doctor said
Let the monkeys jump on the bed! Another thirteen to go and this nightmare will be over!

... Okay, so I dirtied it up a little bit.

"And -- ACTION!"

"Jump,oh Jump,oh Jump,oh Jump

I get up, and nothing gets me down
You got it tough, I've seen the toughest around
And I know, baby just how you feel
You've got to roll with the punches to get to what's real

Oh can't you see me standing here
I've got my back against the record machine
I ain't the worst that you've seen (aint the worst that youve seen)
Oh can't you see what I mean (cant you see what I mean)

Might as well jump, jump
Might as well jump
Go ahead and jump, jump
Go ahead and jump

(Ohh, oh) Hey you (who said that)
Baby how you been
You say you don't know, you won't know
Until we begin

Well can't you see me standing here
I've got my back against the record machine
I ain't the worst that you've seen (aint the worst that youve seen)
Oh can't you see what I mean (cant you see what I mean)

Might as well jump, jump
Might as well jump
Go ahead and jump, jump
Go ahead and jump

(Guitar and Keyboard solo)

JUMP

JUMP

Might as well jump, jump
Might as well jump
Go ahead and jump, jump
Go ahead and jump

Ohhh, oh, oh, jump, oh, jump, oh, jump, oh, jump

JUMP"

---