.1.

...

"He who walks on death."

...

"You like it?" Sarah asked me, a small coffee cup in her boney, pale hands. Her long grey hair was pulled back into a tight bun at the back of her head, making her look like a version of Mrs. Clause.

I slowly walked to her, a smile plastered on my face as I took in the overdid purple room.

I nodded my head before stopping in front of her. "I love it." Her smile widened and so did mines as a laugh slipped out of my mouth. "I love it a lot." I looked around the room again before turning to Sarah. "Thank you so much for letting me stay with you."

She shrugged her shoulders. "Oh no, don't thank me. It was getting kind of lonely in this house after," Her words were cut off as her eyes moved to the floor, holding nothing but sadness in them. "Well, you know."

And indeed I did know. My heartfelt sympathy towards her and her lost one. She and her husband had met when they were twenty and up until a few years ago, they lived a happy and normal life.

An animal attack.

That's what they said it was when they brought in his mangled body. I could only imagine what Sarah felt when she learned of his death.

"I'll let you settle in." She said as she left the room, closing the bright door behind her.

I nodded before moving to my suitcase that sat on the twin sized bed. I unzipped it, flipping the lid over and stared at the pile clothes. I pulled them out before filling them in the drawers and some in o the closet. When I was done my eyes traveled back to the almost empty suitcase where my drawings laid. My feet carried me back to them and I reached for one of the black wolves that stood to howl at the moon.

I stood on top of the bed and stumbled to the headboard with the drawing still in my hands let. Grabbing a tack from the nightstand beside the bed, I hung the small piece of paper on the wall.

I stepped back, looking proudly at it.

Wolves fascinated me in every way possible. They way they depend on their pack to keep them safe from harm's way. Oh, how I envied the loyalty the creatures had.

I shook my head, knowing no one would love or even show loyalty to a wide-eyed girl like me and I was okay with that. When my family left me it was hard at first, but when the rejection repeated what more could I do.

Five years and seven foster homes later, my hope vanished. No one wanted to adopt me. Next year I would be 18 and would be able to have my own place to myself. I was lucky Sarah felt enough pity for me that she took me in promising a good life till I felt the need to leave.

I stepped off the bed and headed out of the room to find the old lady. Her house matched her personality.  As soon as you walked in you could smell the scent of coffee and old people. Almost everything outside of the bedrooms was wood.  From the cabinet to the long walls that caged all the rooms in. Some of the furniture was wooden also, like the stools and the rocking chairs she had laying around.

And that's where I found her, sipping on her coffee in the chair.

I leaned on the wall, crossing my arms. "I finished unpacking," I announced and her head snapped to mine.

"Great. Go get some rest. Tomorrow is going to be a long day for you." I looked at her confused. It was still daylight outside.

She laughed to herself before silently muttering, "Starting with a public school in a town like this." She shook her head as she brought the cup to her narrow lips.