.2.

...

"Stolen Chair"

...

I was surprised when the man's direction had led me back to the trail I had run down. I didn't even know the man and yet I had followed his orders.

And I was home.

My heart was still racing from all the running I had did and I knew Sarah would question me for it so I stood out on the porch with my hand over my heart, trying my best to call it.

My mind started to race with questions about the strange man.
Who was that man? Why was he out there?

I moved my hand from my heart and ran it over my face before stepping into Sarah's house. The smell of coffee hit me hard and I couldn't help but chuckle to myself. Who drinks coffee at night?

The floor made sounds under my feet as I walked into the kitchen and just as I thought Sarah was in front of the coffee maker mumbling to herself. Her grey hair was no longer in the tight bun but hanging loosely in a low ponytail. Her pink nightgown swept the floor as she turned to me.

Her small framed jumped a little bit and she placed her hand on her chest. "Geez, Abby. You scared me."

"I'm sorry-" I started before she interrupted me.

"No, no. It's fine. It's just late I thought you were already in your room. " She turned back to her coffee. "How was your run?"

I looked down at my feet. I wanted nothing more badly than to tell someone about the strange man in the woods but I couldn't. I couldn't tell her that I was in the woods where her husband was supposedly killed. She would freak out and I just got here. I didn't want to have to leave and find another 'Home'. I didn't want to lie either. She was going to be my guardian, my mom even and I liked her. I didn't want to go back into the system. Would she give me back?

I shook my head, clearing my thoughts. "It was fine," I told her and she hummed in a reply.

I silently turned around and headed up the stairs to my room.

''''

.2 Days Later.

I sighed to myself as I stood in the hallway of Richmond Highschool. The never-ending hall continued like a corn maze while the stairs wrapped around almost every corner. There were green lockers against every wall back to back with each other.

I stared down at the map in my hand trying to make sense out of it. On the map was a blue restroom sign beside one of the lines representing the hallways. I looked up at the lockers around me searching for a bathroom but instead, my eyes wandered to a petite girl that stood at a locker a few feet away from me.

My small feet suddenly moved to reach her. "Hey, can you help me?" I ask once I was in hearing distance from her. The girl didn't turn to look at me but instead, she kept applying her red lipstick. Her light red her was curled softly in a wavy style. I cleared my throat and pushed my own hair out of my face. "Excuse me." I tried again.

This time her pale face turned to meet mines. Red little fickles danced around the bridge of her nose making her appear invincible.

Her lips pulled into a thin line. "Yeah?" She inquired, looking flatly at me.

I placed both my hands on the map. "I just wanted to know if you could help me find room," I paused to look down at my schedule, "309."

She stared at me before smiling widely. "Oh. You must be new here. Are you new here?" I nodded slowly but she didn't seem to notice as she continued. "Of course you're new. Let me see your schedule." She held out her hand.