"That I May Inherit Eternal Life"

Chapter One

"That I May Inherit Eternal Life"

"And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I DO that I may inherit eternal life?" (Mark 10:17)

This is a true story of a man who lived morally, who did not kill, who did not steal, who did not bear false witness, who did not defraud anyone and who honored his father and mother. He was a nobleman who acknowledged Jesus as "Good Master," even kneeling before him. In spite of all his virtues, and they were many, he felt that eternal life was something out of his reach. He felt there was something more that he had to DO. And in Jesus' reply, he did not say, "DO? I have DONE everything for you. There is nothing to do but believe in me. Just say you believe, and you shall have eternal life. Just get DO out of your mind."

The nobleman was a Jew under the Jewish Law arrangement. The law of Israel promised: "Ye shall therefore keep my statutes, and my judgments: which if a man DO, he shall live in them: I am the Lord" (Leviticus 18:5). If they could keep the law perfectly they would gain eternal life. However, this was not possible, because of their inherent imperfection. This young man had tried to live by "keeping the Law" but found that something seemed lacking. When reminded of the commandments he said, "Master, all these have I observed from my youth" (Mark 10:20). Obviously, he had made a noble effort at keeping the Law, but the Great Teacher knew that he failed in one area. Jesus told him, "One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me" (Mark 10:21).

The Great Refusal

"And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions" (Mk. 10:22). This is often referred to as the "great refusal" because the nobleman turned down eternal life-it cost too much. How could eternal life cost too much? If discipleship were presented on these terms today many would go "away grieved." If people had to place their wealth on God's altar and take "the cross and follow" Jesus, the results might be the same as with the nobleman. Most people want to be on the receiving end. When Jesus tied "eternal life" to giving all and taking up the "cross" to follow him, it was too much to ask. Is something wrong here? Jesus laid out these terms-no one may change their clear and direct meaning.

The story continued to unfold. The nobleman turned down eternal life because it cost too much. He had great possessions and would not give up the advantages his wealth brought him. With eternal life he might have gained greater riches, for he would have eternity to do so. However, his own selfish interest would not allow him to yield to Jesus' terms. While he had made commendable efforts to keep the Jewish Law,* (*If he had, he would have complied with the Master's request.)he had not fully met the requirement "thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might" (Deut. 6:5). This was the "one thing" he lacked-a serious lack which would disqualify anyone from eternal life. A lesson emerges that ties eternal life to character requirements, which, in turn, leads to works pleasing to God.

The Handicap of Riches

Jesus used this occasion to teach another lesson. "And Jesus looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!" (Mark 10:23) This was discouraging to the disciples. It was hard enough to arouse interest in God's kingdom. Jesus seemed to place further obstacles in gaining converts. Not only did Jesus outline strict requirements for discipleship, but he also threatened the sacrosanct domain of riches. This was foreign to their thinking-the rich and powerful were generally highly esteemed and often given preferred treatment. Jesus seemed to indicate that the rich would be greatly disadvantaged in entering the "kingdom of God." "And the disciples were astonished at his words" (Mk. 10:24). Jesus was placing insurmountable obstacles to enlisting people to God's kingdom.