Scriptures Emphasizing Character and Works

Chapter Twelve

Scriptures Emphasizing Character and Works

It is so easy to believe what we want, rather than what the Bible teaches. How comforting to think that all one needs to do is ask Jesus "to come into my heart, forgive my sins, and take me to heaven when I die." Jesus has promised "forgiveness of sins" and the "gift of the Holy Spirit" (Acts 2:38). The Christian is promised "grace to help in every time of need" and a host of other promises showing his Spirit will work in us to encourage and sustain us, as well as to "will and to do of his good pleasure" (Phil. 2:13). To assume that heaven is guaranteed when one confesses Jesus is assuming too much. It is the sin of presumption to believe Jesus is obligated to bestow upon every believer a character suitable for heaven. The devil would encourage all of his followers to accept Jesus, and then he could fill heaven with his unregenerate children. Heaven would be as corrupt as the earth is. Didn't the devil sow "tares" in God's wheat field (Matt. 13:24-30)? Do you not think he would be glad to send his "tares" to heaven? When separating the "sheep" from the "goats" at the end of the Millennium, the basis of judgment will not be merely belief in Jesus, but good works and failure to perform good works. See Matt. 25:32-46.

The following verses pertaining to the Gospel age should give pause to all believers who imagine that a mere confession of sin and belief in Jesus will assure a heavenly home. Bold letters are our emphasis:

"Strait [difficult] is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it" (Matt. 7:14).

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven" (Matt. 7:21).

"Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom" (Lk. 12:32).

"So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple" (Lk. 14:33).

"He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it" (Matt. 10:37-39).

"For many are called, but few are chosen" (Matt. 22:14).

"Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit" (John 15:2).

"Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain" (1 Cor. 9:24).

"But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway." [How could he be a "castaway" if heaven was guaranteed to every believer?] (1 Cor. 9:27).

"Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure" (Phil. 2:12, 13).

"I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus" (Phil. 3:14).

"That I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that if possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead" (Phil. 3:10, 11, RSV).

"For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day." [Note, Paul gave three reasons why he believed he had a "crown of righteousness"-all three reasons were essential along with his initial acceptance of Jesus as his Savior] (2 Tim. 4:6-8).