"For by Grace Are Ye Saved Through Faith"

Chapter Nine

"For by Grace Are Ye Saved Through Faith"

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." Ephesians 2:8-10 

God's justice did not require that he bring salvation to anyone. It was God's love and grace that reached down to bring about the means of our recovery. We as Christians are reckoned as saved from our sins by means of faith in Christ's redemptive work. No works that we can do could lift the judgment of death standing against us. This is what is meant by "not of yourselves." It is commonly recognized by Christians that what we have received is "not of works, lest any man should boast." No one merited such favor. Hence, if not of merit, it must be of "grace."

A Christian may not continue in evil works and call for more of God's grace. Paul makes it very clear, that "we are his workmanship created in Christ Jesus unto good works." We are enabled to do "good works" only by God's grace. God works in his people to "will and to do of his good pleasure" (Philippians 2:13). Unless such a transformation of heart and character has taken place, it is doubtful that any are "his workmanship." Paul says, "Shall we continue to sin, that grace may abound? God forbid" (Romans 6:1, 2). Christians, however sincere, do sin, but not willingly, for they will to do righteousness. It is one thing to be overcome by human weakness and another thing to live after the flesh. When we are told that some "born again" Christians have a lifestyle no different than the world, and that grace compensates for this unregenerate way of life, that is hard to believe. "For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace" (Romans 8:5).

"Faith … Not of Yourselves: It Is the Gift of God"

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves" (Ephesians 2:8). This raises the question as to whether God supplies faith as well as grace. Does the individual exercise faith or does faith come by endowment? The answer is that God provides the basis for faith in his word. Paul tells us, "Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God" (Romans 10:17). It is in this sense that Paul says faith is "not of yourselves." No one could exercise faith without some basis or platform for it. God provides the platform for faith. This should not be construed to mean the individual does not need to exercise personal faith. It is clearly written, "Without faith it is impossible to please him" (Hebrews 11:6). In other words, once God provides the foundation for faith, then the individual must be willing to step out on the promises of God with full assurance. God develops our faith by the revelations of his love, through his promises, through his Word.

The "free grace" movement tends to minimize individual inward effort in the process of "being saved." It is sweet music to some to hear that God will guarantee transport to heaven by merely professing to accept Jesus as their Savior. How convenient to believe that with such a confession, heaven is guaranteed and that once "saved" one cannot be "unsaved." That is a better deal than Tetzel* (*John Tetzel, a Dominican Friar who used high pressure tactics to sell indulgences during the 1500s, would say, "The moment you hear your money drop in the box, the soul of your mother will jump out of purgatory." The Church in History, by B. K. Kuiper, published by William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, Grand Rapids, MI.) offered while selling indulgences† for sin. (†The Roman Catholic Church used the system of indulgences as a means for penitent sinners to buy a release from sins.) To secure an indulgence the individual had to put a princely sum in Tetzel's coffer. Under the "free grace" terms, heaven is guaranteed by God's grace to all those who accept Christ. Even when these acceptors of God's grace continue to sin, no matter, God's grace is limitless and his love unconditional. The sinner does not need to pay an indulgence for sin, but gets one free from Christ. This is an incredible offer. No wonder the "free grace" siren song is attracting adherents. It sounds almost too good to be true. In fact, that is exactly the case. God is not "mocked."