"Reconciled to God by the Death of His Son"

Chapter Six

"Reconciled to God by the Death of His Son"

Paul clarifies the subject of justification in the Book of Romans. In Romans 5:9, 10 we have this explanation-

"Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved [Greek, sozo] from wrath through him. For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved [Greek, sozo] by his life." 

Here we see a contrast between being "justified by his blood" and being "saved by his life." We need both to attain everlasting life. Being "justified by his blood" is the means whereby we are reconciled to God or justified. Being "saved by his life" means that we must follow in the footsteps of our Master as our life pattern. We also need a living Savior to intercede on our behalf, for when we sin "we have an advocate with the Father" (1 John 2:1). He alone may help us keep our robes "unspotted from the world" (James 1:27). 

We are told, "For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need" (Heb. 4:15, 16).

"Saved By Hope"

People don't look very different from each other. We would not be able to stand on a street with people going by and tell who are "justified by his blood" and who are not. In time, all names appear in the obituary columns with no observable difference. The righteous and evil die alike. From the world's observation point it matters little whether Christ's blood reached any. The human scale of observation is of little value in assessing whether being disciples of Christ brings any reward. This fact has given religions a large playing field. They all claim some kind of life after death. If one follows the religious rites prescribed by each, a blessed afterlife is promised. 

It is revealing that even non-Christian religions teach death is merely the door to a higher form of life. Many require re-incarnation until reaching the ultimate goal. The Bible teaches that death is an enemy that will be destroyed by Christ (1 Cor. 15:26) and death is the absence of life (Ecc. 9:5, 10). Only the Bible provides man's true hope, which stems from God's provision for a RESURRECTION from the dead and a restoration to life (Acts 24:15; John 5:28, 29). 

Christianity is the only religion, besides ancient Judaism, currently teaching a resurrection from death. This is a distinguishing feature setting it apart from other religions. Jesus, the founder of Christianity, was initially the only one who died and rose again-because it was God's purpose to raise him from the dead (Acts 2:32). Jesus promised to resurrect all true disciples and "all that are in the graves" in due time (John 5:28).

Jesus died believing God would resurrect him. His hope was realized when God "raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places. [This was] far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come: and hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church" (Eph. 1:20-22). Jesus, the "firstfruits" of the resurrection, implies there shall be after fruit (1 Cor. 15:23).

In one sense we are "saved by hope." Paul says, "For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it" (Rom. 8:24, 25). The Christian must exercise both faith and hope, because the reality of eternal life is not tangible, but something the believer receives by hope and faith. The main difference between true religion and false religion is that one will result in genuine reality and a true reward, whereas the other provides only a grand illusion and an unrealizable reward. The believer must take responsibility for a careful evaluation to see whether his belief is founded in true promises of God or whether the devil has fed him a few scriptures with the intent to deceive him. The devil knows how to use scriptures to deceive. The father of lies told Eve, "Ye shall not surely die" (Gen. 3:4). This still is a very popular lie perpetuated by various denominations and philosophies.