2- The Autopsy of Jane Doe

Date: 7th June, 1987
Location: Grimy apartment complex, London
Time: 9:03 am
Temperature: Early summer disappointment

Eric sighed, looking expectantly at the door through his car window yet again.

Still no sign of Alan.

He frowns- said 'get some rest', not 'take the entire piss'.

He'd even answered the phone when Eric called to say he was on his way. He couldn't think for the life of him what was taking him so long.

Oh, wait, maybe he could.

Alan was approaching from the other direction, looking just as mentally and physically exhausted as the last time he'd seen him. Eric opened the passenger side door, "Get in, loser, we're going to forensics."

Alan basically collapses in the car seat, "Sorry," He yawns, "I had to run some papers down to the office..."

Eric frowns, starting the car, "Can't you drive?"

Alan rubs his eyes, "No, I'm gay."

Eric has to restrain laughter at his completely serious tone, "That's hardly an excuse."

Alan hugs his knees, already half asleep, "Whatever," He whines, "Where are we going?"

"Forensics," Eric explains, "They're going to give us a rundown of the autopsy. This should be a fairly open and shut case in terms of finding out how she died, after that, we just need to work out who called me and potentially who did it."

Alan nodded, "So we can wrap this up fairly quickly and then get on to the actual investigation?"

"Hopefully," Eric warned, "I can't make any promises. If it's totally impossible, then we'll just help out with tracking the caller and work on the cause of death on the side."

Alan nods, "Cool." There's a slight pause, and Alan bites his lip, "What's an autopsy like?"

"I don't know, I've never had one."

Alan shot him a scathing look.

"Look, it honestly depends," Eric explained, trying to be as honest as possible, "I've seen some truly horrific ones, so don't think that all your autopsies are going to be pretty ginger ladies with no wounds."

Alan gave him an impressive side eye, raising an eyebrow, "I'm not a kid, you don't have to treat me like one."

Eric rolls his eyes, "I'm just warning you," He says again, "It takes some getting used to."

Alan nods slowly, looking contemplative. Eric sees him out the side of his eye, "Nervous?"

"No." Alan snaps.

"You're welcome to go to sleep, you know."

To his surprise, rather than fighting, Alan just puts his oxblood doc martens up on the seat, hugging his knees and falling asleep almost instantly. Eric raises an eyebrow, wondering if maybe Alan's just able to fall asleep quickly all the time, or if he'd been working himself to death. He definitely seemed like the type to, but then, he also seemed like the type of person who wouldn't be nervous of going to an autopsy.

There is one thing Eric has learned, and it's that you can take nothing and no one at face value.

The car goes over a huge pothole.

Alan sighs in his sleep.

Eric's eyes widen slightly. This man is untouchable.