prologue.

classified hydra research facility.

not far from the alkama fields, democratic republic of niganda.

may 2008.

     DR. Erich Paine. The infamous geneticist in exile. It wasn't long before he was on a plane to Niganda after Prime Minister M'Butu proposed a delicious offer he couldn't resist: freedom to perform his experiments on Nigandan soil in exchange for money and the promise of a revolutionary weapon.

     "Where did you find her?" the Brit interrogated as they walked. He strode confidently through the newly refurbished building as if the halls were built for him.

     "An old D.A.K. HYDRA base. It seems they sent her here for an assignment just before Captain America defeated the Red Skull." replied the Nigandan lab technician.

     "And just to clarify, M'Butu is giving me full use of this facility and license to experiment?"

     They turned down a particularly extensive, narrow corridor. "Yes. The facility, equipment, the girl, any resources you need: it is all yours. As long as you give him what he wants."

     "Yes, yes, he'll have his weapon." he smiled mischievously as they came to a stop in front a small, unassuming set of metal doors. The man glanced at the Blackberry in his hand before punching in a number sequence into the keypad next to the doors.

     They slid open in a fluid motion and the two men walked into the room. The Englishman approached the hyperbaric chamber in the center of the room. He peered into it at the woman lying unconscious inside of it. Tubes and wires tethered her to the device. The heart monitor on it beeped quietly and steadily.

     "This chamber was reverse-engineered from Wakandan technology. It was an extremely difficult task, but we almost have it replicated."

     The man nodded, "It's keeping her alive, that's all that matters. I don't care how you got it. How much longer?"

     "Two hours and forty-three minutes."

     "What a beautiful specimen," he said under his breath, watching the woman as she breathed. He placed a hand on the cold glass, "Oh, I have plans for you, my dear."