"The Asha Thing."

One year later.

Mohatu 

"But I'm holding on for dear life. Won't look down, won't open my eyes. Keep my glass full until morning light. 'Cause I'm just holding on for tonight."

Sia's voice had caused a grandiose chill that warmed my spine, igniting goosebumps that camouflaged my entire upper body.

I was in the car, headphones in, zoned out into my own little world. My eyes scattered skittishly, examining the new neighborhood whilst still withholding my judgement. "Are you ready for your first day at your new school, Hatu?" my mother asked with both hands on the wheel. I couldn't hear her, but I read her lips.

I removed one headphone. "If I'm being honest? No. But do I really have a choice?" I said with playfully sarcastic smile, clutching the ending stand of my backpack in nervousness at the thought. "You're right. You don't." she retorted in a high-pitch and a mild attitude. I smirked at her, reinserting my headphones in attempt to continue my mental voyage down 1000 Forms of Fear until she interrupted me. She knew that I often listened to music to help cope with my nervousness. I pulled it out once more, "Don't be nervous. You make friends easily. You'll be fine if you just be yourself." she said in an uplifting lecture. Her and I both know how she knew, but with me being me, I just had to ask, "And how did you know---" she cut me off.

"I'm your mother, Mohatu. I know how you feel about things before you even feel them. Remember you came from my womb, eh?" she joked in a lively tone as she incorporated a traditional African accent for comedic emphasis, attempting to lift my spirits before we arrived. I chuckled softly at her. "And make sure that you try-out for clubs and stuff. See if they have cheer! I want to see my seed shine in every way she can." her sass brought happiness to my heart as she let go of the wheel and began improvising her own cheer routine, grunting to make her own music. "Mother, please!" I begged, giggling at her as I gestured for her to put her hands back onto the wheel. She followed quickly, laughing along with me. "And besides, I don't know what the team is like there. Plus, I'm the new girl. I can't expect to join anything yet." I reminded her. She rolled her eyes at me, "Eh, eh! What is this...this tone of self-doubt?! Not my daughter!" she yelled, wagging her index finger in the air. "Remember, my child.." she stopped, pressing the break to look to both the right and left for cars coming toward us.

"All it takes is a little faith, trust and pixie dust." she sang. I sat up in the passenger seat, squinting at her with a goofy grin. My Lord, I do love this woman. But could I fully testify that all her screws were in tight?

I plead the fifth.

"Did you really just quote Peter Pan?" She looked at me and raised her eyebrows twice, maneuvering the wheel to turn left into what seemed like a large parking lot. "No more Disney marathons for you, young lady." I bantered with parental authority. She smiled at me, her chubby cheeks flourishing against the sunlight. "Bibbity, bobbity, boo baby girl."

My mother truly was a character, but she kept me grounded, and teaches me more than I ever could learn in the walls of a classroom.

"This is it, Hatu." Her caution revived my balmy anxiety as we looked at each other. I didn't prolong my entry, for I was already late. We had gotten lost on our way here. Within one hot breath, I unlocked the door, making my way toward the entry doors. Behind me, I could hear the sound of a car window being rolled down, "You got this, mama! I love you!" she yelled, leaning over the armrest of the car. I turned to face her and blew her a kiss, my naturally long nails scratching the top of my lip as I sent her the loving gesture.

"I love you too." I mouthed to her with a crooked smile.

Soon after, she adjusted her gearshift and was on her way, leaving me in a new world to fight for my own.