While The World Was Sleeping.

Mohatu

"Hey, my God!" She clapped. "Who is that sexy gyal walkin' around my livin' room, eh? I cannot! My daughter, you look beautiful!" Chanted my mother in artificial shock as she hoisted her hand on her hip. Rocking herself rhythmically, she elevated her free hand in the air, waving it in praise as I spun around for her.

"Thank you, mama." I said as I posed for her arrogantly, grazing my fingers above my hair in lack of modesty.

She smiled at me, wrinkling her nose as she extended her arms to initiate an embrace. "Come here, now you listen to me. You know you are my only child, so please be careful. I want you back here by 1 a.m. You know I have no problem tracking you down if you don't. And I'll burn down all of Breslin Heights in the process. I promise." She notified with a straight face, pulling me toward her as she pressed her cheeks against mine. She whined quietly against me, rubbing her hands up and down my bare arms as she continued to examine me.

From behind me, a bold popping sound eradicated from the speakers of my phone, causing me to release my mother's tight hold on me. It was Nala.

I'm outside, bih! Come! It said.

Looking up at her, I walked toward my jacket. "That's Nala, ma. She's outside." I told her. Folding her hands beneath her chin, she pouted at the sight of me slipping it above my shoulders. "Be watchful, my love. Please." she pleaded once more as I headed toward the door.  Pausing in my tracks, I turned to her as she did me just days ago. "Mama," I warned in a parental tone. "Hakuna Matata."

Her grin spread contagiously across her lips as I meet her eyes with an assuring look. Swinging the door open, I was kissed by the warm night sky, street lights shining from near and far.

"Yaaaaaasssss, sis! Who's friend is that?! Mine!" Nala screamed from the driver's seat into Michelle's passenger window. I matched their heinous screaming as I jogged timely toward the car, the subtle clicking of my black booties crashing against the concrete. "You look like a whole snack, Hatu! Gah Damn! Pullin' em tonight! I will see to it!" Michelle added, pulling out her phone as she attempted to make me the star of her newest addition to her Snapchat story. In a fit of laughter, I twirled into a sassy model walk as I headed toward the car. Nala unlocked the doors from her door, allowing me to pull onto the handle and slide inside.

Not even seconds after I got comfortable inside, Nala sped off down my street. I wondered if he would be there.

Don't even matter, boo. He don't care. Get over it.

I didn't tell them about his letter to Nguvu. I didn't know how. And, frankly, I was too ashamed at my obliviousness to even mention it. It doesn't matter anyways. He doesn't care, nor should I. Tonight is just about fun. Good, unclean, memory-hazing...fun.

~

"Ya bitch wanna party wit Cardi. Bardier Cardi in a 'rari. Diamonds all over my body, shining all over my body."

The hefty base bumped heavily against the walls, causing a subtle vibration within my chest as I fought to squirm through the massive crowd of teens from our school. The robust scent of alcohol and marijuana compacted the room, the raging heat creeping upon me like a sauna as strands of smoke swam within the air from every angle. Michelle held Nala and I tightly in each hand  as she guided Nala and I through the crowd, "Yo, gimme your jackets. Keep your phone with you, aight?!" she said in my ear above the boisterous tunes. I nodded at her as I stuffed my cell phone into my bra, looking around at my surrounds.

Soon after, a tall melanin overloaded boy walked over in a casual stride toward Nala. The beauty in the darkness of his skin highlighted his african features gracefully, complimenting his glistening biceps as he wrapped his thick arm around her shoulder to get her attention. She didn't see him because she was facing me.