Chapter 20: Meeting Royalty

Sarah Anderson and Diana, Throne Room.

Meeting Diana's parents, King and Queen of the Lilith Kingdom, was quite something if I'm allowed to speak out. In all honesty, I was never good at leaving a good first impression but, I always gave it my very best, putting my heart into everything I did. And that time was no exception. It was just like my mother taught me while I was growing:

«Politeness is a sign of dignity not subservience »

Honor guards stood at the door of the Throne Room. The red double-door had four carved panels, which gave it depth and texture.

"The time has come," Diana murmured.

I stared at the huge door and I gulped down a bit o saliva that had been increasingly forming in my mouth the whole way. I wasn't sure if I still wanted to go in. A few moments ago I was excited to meet her parents but, now, I was afraid of what I might find on the other side. "W-Would you hold my hand Diana, please?" I asked her.

"Of course, darling. If that makes you feel a bit less nervous, I'll do it." Her palm caressed mine as her fingers slowly started to intertwine with mine; her hand cupped perfectly with mine. Her long and thin fingers, completing the space left in mine.

I closed my eyes and breathed in and out, trying to maintain a proper lady-composture and not panicking. "I'm ready." I finally said.

Then, at my command, Diana gave a slight nod to both honor guards. They immediately opened it for us.

Saero, who was designed to escort us to the throne room, announced Diana's demoniac name followed by her royal title loud and clear. "Princess Ezaeur, entering the room." As the three of us took a step forward and entered the room, the door shut close behind us, with a loud thud; I jumped at the sudden sound of the pegs clicking with each other so, I stopped and looked back paranoiac. I unconsciously squeezed Diana's hand.

Diana looked at me; her lips were stretched into a small, kind smile. As soon as she smiled at me, part of my nervousness and fear of the unknown fled away like a bunch of fruit-flies caught in a heavy gust of wind. "It's going to be alright." She mimicked.

My mouth twitched as I managed to form a smile to return hers.

It was Diana who took the 'second' first step and so I was obligated to do as well. Saero followed suit, not far behind. I walked the red carpet side-by-side with both of them. I was so anxious that I swear I couldn't think straight. Just taking a single step made my breathing rapid and shallow. I felt like drowning without water. I could feel my pulse pounding in my temples. I tried to stay calm as my eyes searched the room for something soul-soothing. I focused on the walls. They seemed to tell war stories. For example, one of them had this huge, wild mural of a griffin wielding a sword and an astounding dragon ridden by someone I assumed to be the king. "Wow..." I whispered completely mesmerized by its perfection and conciseness. 

Ahead, there were two different throne chairs; one in silver and another in gold. Both were carved of fine oak, crested with several jewels and decorative metals forming an elegant coat of arms. The King sat on the right one and the Queen on the left, both with very distinct crowns. The Queen's was for sure the big one; the bottom was essentially a handmade crown of Lilith flowers and its golden frame was engraved with several diamonds and pearls, uniting on the top with a crossed turned backward. The King's was more simple but still royalty material.