CHAPTER 6

Calora shifted on her seat and faced her mother hands clasped together.

 "Can I go to the market, Nana?"

 Her mother's earlier good mood turned rotten.

 "No, Dear."

 "But I want to sell those root crops you have earned last day", she said pointing at the sack below their wooden table.

 "Then I will be the one to sell those to Mang Gastor.

"But Na-."

"No more buts dear, you don't want your mother to be angry do you?" she asked.

"Yeah, don't want to", she replied dryly.

Her mother smiled at her then stood up preparing the things she needed for her morning shift at the mining station.

"Aisshh, I'm not a child anymore, does she knows it?", she murmured under her breath.

 "You're saying something Calora?" her mother asked, as she peeks at their bedroom's door.

"Nothing Nana", she answered over her shoulder. Calora heaved a sigh and leaned at the window facing their backyard.

 "Why can't I even go outside, the weather is good. She looked at the surrounding and did an inspection if her duckling her mother gave to her was at its favorite spot, but to her greatest disappointment, it was nowhere to be seen, instead, she caught something that lifted her mood. A small colored bird was hovering over the flowers.

 "A hummingbird!!" she exclaimed.

Calora continued watching the bird in contemplation feeding itself with nectars. She can't help but look at it with admiration and awe.

 "How can it flip its wings so rapid?" she thought.

"Because that's the nature of its wings", her mother leaned beside her.

 "Are you some sort of a mind reader?" she asked without looking at her.

 "Hmmm? What if I really am?".

"Really?"Calora exclaimed as she faced her.

 "Of course not! Hahahahaha".

"Aishh!! Stop joking, I almost believe you", she retorted looking back outside.

"You're like her", her mother said out of nowhere.

 "Like whom?".

 "My friend".

 "Your friend?".

 "Yes".

"What about your friend?", she asked.

 "You're innocent, you're funny, yo-".

"What? I'm not a clown!!, she cut her off.

"Hahahaha, you got it wrong dear. What I mean is, you're funny in a different way. You make people around you happy. Just like her back then."