Chapter 5: Gore

After a particularly dangerous mission four months later, nearly 25% of the scout regiment was decimated and 73% were seriously injured. This was caused by the appearance of the armored titan. Diana noticed something in the short amount of time she was near the Armored Titan—it seemed to avoid killing her. She flew around trying to be as annoying as possible. He refused to swat her fatally. However, an abnormal titan did almost kill her. Levi had her back though. Diana didn't wake up until she was returning home from the mission.

She sat up and immediately looked for Armin and Levi. Armin rode beside the wagon. He was okay. Diana looked up front and saw Levi. He wasn't in perfect condition, but he'd survive. Diana couldn't muster much strength. She eased back down and passed back out.

She woke up again at the sound of a bell clanging. She realized they were at the wall. She sat up and leaned onto her arms. Armin was looking over at her when she woke up and was smiling. He walked his horse along the street and ignored the people yelling insults and compliments all the same.

"Do you feel okay, Diana?" He looked happy that she was awake but worried in case she was in pain.

"Tired. Very tired. You?"

"I think I need a nap." He smiled through his clear exhaustion.

When they got back, they both got their much needed sleep. Afterwards, they treated people in the infirmary. In severe cases, Diana would treat with Apollo power if she could keep it hidden. It saved a lot of people from pain and a few from death.

That night, she went up to the top floor of the headquarters. The sun sunk in the west. She thought of her dad and wondered if this was what he wanted. She cared and didn't care at the same time. He wasn't a bad person, just a bad dad. Even when he came to the mortal world as Lester, he didn't pay any attention to her. He did pluck her out of her hopeless situation in Wall Rose six years before, but he also put her back. She loved Armin and Levi, but she also loved Will, Nico, Austin, Kayla, and Raelynn.

She stared out at the darkening sky. After a few minutes, she felt herself slip away like she was falling asleep. She could still hear and see, but she couldn't think straight or move completely.

She heard someone come up the stairs. "Diana," Levi said, "You need to sleep." Diana just nodded. "Diana?" He went over to her. She stayed absolutely still. Then, he saw her eyes. The normally happy, sparkly blue was replaced with what looked like ice that was bashed with a hammer.

Levi put a hand over hers. Normally, the girl radiated warmth, but now, she was freezing. Levi was scared of what was happening. "I'll be back in a minute, Diana." She nodded again. "I'm going to get Armin." Normally, Diana would've smiled at the idea of him, but she just nodded halfheartedly. Levi left quickly and came back a minute later with Amrin.

Armin was beyond worried. "Diana?" He put his hand over hers. He pulled her close.

Levi knew Diana would be okay with him. "You two know the rules." He quieted his voice when he said, "Take care of her. Just don't dirty my sheets." He left as Armin's face burned bright red. Diana didn't react at all.

"It'll be okay, Diana." Diana wasn't sure. She could think enough to know nothing was ever okay for her with her titan-fighting, half-blood life. "Can I hug you?" Diana nodded, and he wrapped his arms around her. "I'll make sure you're okay." He moved a hand through her hair.

"Thanks," Diana managed. She leaned against Armin. He held her tightly, which she appreciated. After about ten minutes, Diana and Armin separated. Armin kept his hands on Diana's shoulder. "Armin, I couldn't do any of this without you."

"Oh... I- Words are hard," he said quietly.

"I know." Diana held a hand up to Armin's cheek, appreciating the way it felt against her fingertips.

"You're so warm. I love it. It's like you're the sunshine."

"I guess you could say that." Diana immediately started to think about Apollo but didn't say anything. "I'll see you soon. Goodnight." She let her fingertips slip down Armin's face.

"Goodnight." Diana went down the stairs to her dormitory. She made a new goal for herself: tell Armin she loved him. She was sure now. She would tell him and hope it went well.