Prologue

Hello everyone! Cherry here with a new story! c:

To new readers, welcome! I hope you enjoy your stay c: To my old fans, welcome back! I hope this story meets the standards set by my previous one.

So I just finished 'United As One' (posting the epilogue shortly after uploading this!), and you guys showed TREMENDOUS support for that story. I'd started it on a simple, short idea, and it turned into something much greater. Now, due to popular demand, I'm starting another fanfiction! 

The most popular vote BY FAR was Choice A, where I make several Cube members high school age and have the main character become friends with them (and hopefully, she'll eventually fall for one! I don't know who yet). So that's what I'm bringing you guys with this story, 'Begin Again'. This prologue here is kind of short, but it's sort of only a backstory thing that you need to know, anyway. The first chapter will, of course, be longer :)

So, of course, be sure to follow @code_cherry on Twitter and Instagram (that's me!), and vote and comment to kick off this new fanfic! Enjoy!

ELISE’S POV (age 14)

“Ha!” I declared, sliding my queen into place. “Checkmate!”

Across from me, my best friend Alex groaned. “Dammit, I didn’t see that!” She sat back from the chess board, grinning wryly at me. “GG, Elise. GG.”

I chuckled. “You know I’m the chess master.”

“Whatever. Just because you can beat me and your brother doesn’t make you the queen of chess.” She glanced at her phone. “It’s nearly 7. Where’s your mom with the pizza?”

I shrugged. “Dunno. Probably got held up by traffic or something.” 

The sound of a lock turning caught our attention, and we jumped up to help her carry in the food.

But there was none. My mom was completely empty-handed except for her purse and a few tissues. Her face was red.

“Mom? What happened?” I asked immediately, concern washing over me. A few paces behind me, Alex stopped.

She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. It was nearly a full minute before she opened them again. “Your father… he was shot, Eli.”

Instantly my whole body went numb. “What?”

Her voice shook. “He’s dead, sweetheart.”

My mind went on autopilot. My father, the generous, kind, strong man who would’ve done anything for me… was dead? It isn’t possible. It’s just not possible.

I felt a familiar hand on my shoulder. “Elise…?”

I shrugged away Alex’s touch and raced away, tears already burning in my eyes. I climbed the stairs two at a time and slammed the door behind me, falling onto my bed and screaming into a pillow.

My father had been everything to me. He’d made me smile when I felt down, gone out of his way to make sure I was happy.

And now he was gone.

For hours I cried, hoping my tears would wash the sadness away.

They didn’t.

Unfortunately, I had to end it there. The first chapter begins with her two years later, so I really didn't have a choice. But hopefully since I'm posting the epilogue of 'United As One', this is enough for today :)

I hope you guys enjoyed this little blurb of my new 'fic. Vote and comment for more! Until next time!

~Cherry