Chapter Seven

Hello everyone! Welcome back!

So I've been in a basketball camp this entire week (and I still have tomorrow, too, and it's a TON of work), and as I said before, it is seriously exhausting, but I managed to get past my writer's block yesterday by writing and listening to music at the same time, so I think this chapter maaay be slightly longer, but I'm not really sure. Anyway, since I was listening to music while writing this, I do include a song in this chapter because songs are amazing and I find lyrics so inspiring, both for my writing and for real life in general. Tell me if you like having the songs in the chapters and I think I'll try to add them in more often.

Remember to follow @code_cherry on Twitter and Instagram, and to vote and comment for more. Enjoy!

ELISE’S POV

They were drifting away. I could feel it.

After that day in science our conversations seemed more forced, especially on their part. They paused before saying anything, and steered me away from conversations about YouTube. 

I knew they were hiding something from me. I just didn’t have the courage to ask them what, in case I was being oversensitive and misreading the situation. I didn’t want to risk what little we had.

For the first time since my father’s death… I felt alone again. I didn’t want to have friends who kept secrets from me. I wanted friends that were open and honest, even if honesty was not necessarily the best policy. 

I sighed and let myself get lost in the music flowing from my earbuds, quietly singing along.

“And I’d give up forever to touch you

Cause I know that you’d feel me somehow

You’re the closest to heaven that I’ll ever be

And I don’t wanna go home right now

And all I can taste is this moment

And all I can breathe is your life

Sooner or later it’s over

I just don’t wanna miss you tonight

And I don’t want the world to see me

Cause I don’t think that they’d understand

When everything’s meant to be broken

I just want you to know who I am

And you can’t fight the tears that ain’t coming

The moment of truth in your lies

When everything feels like the movies

Yeah, you bleed just to know you’re alive

And I don’t want the world to see me

Cause I don’t think that they’d understand

When everything’s meant to be broken

I just want you to know who I am

And I don’t want the world to see me

Cause I don’t think that they’d understand

When everything’s meant to be broken

I just want you to know who I am

I just want you to know who I am…”

I groaned in protest as a text message interrupted my singing. I paused the music and quickly flipped to my messages app, my eyes skimming the screen. Alex.

“Watch Grape’s latest SG carefully and tell me what you see.”

I gave the phone a weird look and typed back “OK…?” and opened the YouTube app. I scrolled down the sidebar until I found Grapeapplesauce and tapped, choosing his newest Survival Games, which I’d already watched.

I hadn’t noticed anything unusual, but whatever.

Twenty-three and a half minutes later I still couldn’t figure out what Alex was talking about.

“What do you mean? I don’t see anything.” I typed back.

“Really? Try Tomahawk’s.”

I literally stared at my phone for a straight minute before going back and rewatching Tomahawk’s latest SG. 

Still nothing.

“Are you sure you’re not going insane…? What am I looking for?” I sent back.

She replied with a call.

I rolled my eyes and tapped answer. “Okay Alex. What’s going on here?”

An exasperated noise. “Do you really not notice anything?”

Now it was my turn to be annoyed. “ALEX. Stop repeating yourself and tell me what I am supposed to be noticing. They were normal SGs, nothing strange about them!”

Her sigh was heavy and frustrated. “Look at the facecams, Elise, and tell me you don’t see anything weird about them!”

“Really?” I groaned, putting Alex on speaker and pulling up the videos again. I stared very carefully at the facecams.

Something in Grape’s caught my eye this time.

I loved Grape’s smile. It was insanely adorable and I always “aww’d” every time I saw it. But now, looking at it closely… it seemed familiar.

And not familiar as in ‘I watch this YouTuber every day’ familiar.

Familiar as in ‘I know you personally and we’re good friends’.

“Elise?” I must’ve gone silent, because Alex snapped me out of it. “You okay?”

“Yeah…” I muttered, moving on to Tomahawk’s video.

There it was again. That feeling of familiarity.

“It feels…” I began uncertainly. “It feels like I know them, on a deeper scale than just fan and YouTuber.”

“Yes!” she exclaimed. She sounded slightly excited. “Do you know why?”

I thought hard. “I…”

She sighed again. “Oh, Elise. Can’t you see what’s right in front of your face?”

“What?” I fired back heatedly.

I could picture her rolling her eyes at me. “Pull up a picture of your friend Sean on the screen.”

I made a doubtful and confused noise and opened Sean’s contact picture, of me and him together. “Done.”

“Now pull up Grape’s video next to it.”

I did as she said.

And couldn’t believe what I saw.

Oh snap! Alex was smart enough to figure out what's going on. So what is Elise going to do now? 

I think I'll really enjoy writing this next chapter >:)

By the way, the song is called Iris, and it's by the Goo Goo Dolls :)

Vote and comment for more! See you next time!

~Cherry