Chapter Three

Reese's POV

- But you can call me Billie.

I examined him from head to toe. He was dressed in pitted jeans, an old white shirt and a pair of faded white sneakers. He didn't have a breathtaking style, but he had a certain charm. He gave me a look, which I returned immediately with a small smile. His big green eyes looked at me with intrigue and curiosity. I found his eyes absolutely beautiful. But no way to tell him. I thought that had being a bit cold with him was a good idea. After what happened last night, I was not going to fall into his arms. That's what I've always been told; we must not show boys that we are interested in them. His voice make me came out of my thoughts.

- Where are you from, Reese? I notice that you have a southern accent! he said, giving me a wink.

I smiled at him maliciously.

- Damn right. I'm from Nashville, I replied. What about you, where are you from?

- From here. Well, not exactly from Los Angeles. I usually live in Oakland, next to San Francisco.

- Why are you there, then? I asked him curiously.

- Well, we went down with the band to do concerts and make us known by a larger audience. And we can say that it's a bit of a holiday too, in a sense, he said thoughtfully.

He suddenly took out a cigarette from his pocket, which he hastened to light and drew a puff that seemed to do him the greatest good. He handed it to me.

- Do you want a smoke ?

I had a moment of hesitation. I didn't smoke cigarettes. But, as stupid as it sounds, I wanted to seems like I was "cool". I weighed the pros and cons, then finally accept, took the cigarette and drew a puff. The smoke burned my throat, filled my lungs and made me suffocate. I had already tried smoking, why was I then coughing my lungs at this moment? I wanted to look cool, it was rather missed. Billie looked at me with big eyes and patted my back.

- Hey how are you? Breathe gently, and calm down, he told me, trying to hide his smile.

I calmed down, gave him the cigarette and tilted my head to one side.

"Your tobacco is hell," I said, shaking my head.

He looked at me and started laughing.

- It's not tobacco, Reese. It's weed, he told me, laughing like crazy.

I decomposed on the spot. I had never smoked that in my life. And I had just choked on myself when I just wanted to do it. Shame. I wanted to hide myself at that moment.

- I ... Ah yes, yes, it's true, now that you say it ... Uh, it's, like... very hard ! I replied.

He looked at me with a smirk.

"Well, not really, I do not think you'll find anything less than this. I did not pay dear at all for this one...

Double ashamed. I had to stop here.

- You never tried, did you? he added, staring at me.

We were always walking, and I was hoping the beach was not very far away. I felt a bit ashamed. I let out a sigh.

"In truth, no," I replied, lowering my eyes. I had never had this honor.

He put a hand in his pocket and held me the pot again.

- Do you want to try again? It's nice as a feeling, he told me.

I looked at the joint and said that after all, I was on holidays, I was 16, and I wanted to have a little fun. I nodded, he stopped and put the seal right in front of my lips. I put my lips around and took a puff while looking him in the eyes. He smirked at me, pursed his lips and took a puff himself.

- Did you come here for your holidays? he asked me as we started walking again.

- Yes, I'm here for 3 months, I replied with excitement. I will be able to enjoy the Californian atmosphere and immerse myself in it.

He nodded, smiling.

- Did you came with friends?

"My parents," I replied. But I met a nice girl, so it's a good reason not to stay with my parents all summer long.

- Oh, she starts to want to emancipate! he exclaimed, giving me a playful look. You are quite right. You have to know how to have fun in life.

During the whole journey we laughed, spoke of many different subjects, of our respective lives. He told me how he had left the family cocoon, how he had known his best friend Mike and how they decided to create the Sweet Children band.

I also learned that his drummer friend, John Kiffmeyer (whom he nicknamed Al Sobrante, i don't know why) was older than them but he was the one who took care of finding the good plans to be able to play their songs in front of a public. He told me about his favorite place to play music in Oakland, 924 Gilman Street. And, above all, he spoke to me about his passion for music. How it gave him back his morale, how it allowed him to escape, to spit his hatred and express his joy; he had loved music since he was a kid, it seems. It seemed like the music was summing up most of his life. Punk rock was his way of living his life the way he wanted.

And I listened to him, fascinated. At first reluctant about him, he really seemed to be interesting and smart. I began to be charmed. First, by his physical aspect, because he was really handsome. Like, he had a tender face, a very beautiful smile, and eyes to make all boys jealous. And his way of thinking pleased me too. Although he seemed like a bastard compared to last night, he was actually very nice, he was listening to me and he really wanted to get to know me.

After an hour of walking, we finally arrived at Venice Beach.

- Well, it's true that it was far ... I tell him timidly looking at the ground. I think I'll take the bus back!

He laughed and looked at me with a tender smile on his lips.

- Thank you very much anyway, for bringing me here. I would have been lost, I said, shrugging my shoulders.

"You would definitively have been lost" he laughed.

We stayed there for a few moments, without really knowing what to say to each other. To be honest, I would have liked to see him again during the holidays.

- Uh ... Well, I ... I started.

- I am delighted to know a little more about you, Reese Witherspoon.

To hear him say my name made me feel weird, like tingling in my stomach. I nodded with a smile.

"Is it, uh ..." he began. Are you ... Anyway,  would you like it if, hum.. If we get to see each other during your holidays ? Well, as you want, I do not want to force you ... But I liked to discuss with you.

I looked up at him and smiled at him.

- Why not ... This afternoon, I'm with my friend on the beach. But tomorrow, I have nothing special planned, so if you want we can see each other again?

He ran a hand through his hair.

- Would you like us to meet here? Since you seem to like Venice, he said, winking at me. Around 11 am ?

I stared at him. He was waiting for my answer and seemed to be hoping I would tell him yes. And I wanted to say yes.

- Okay, that's fine with me! Tomorrow, here at 11 am, I'll be there! I replied with a big smile.

He stared at me with his big green eyes and nodded with a radiant smile.

- Perfect. In this case, see you tomorrow, pretty Reesie .